SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Promotional Postcard Examples

Discussion started on

Fabulous illustrator Tina Kruger has shared her promotional postcards and tips on this month's Postcard Post on the Sub It Club blog: http://subitclub.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/the-january-2014-postcard-post-tina-kugler/

There's also an archive of posts with other great illustrators: http://subitclub.wordpress.com/postcard-post-archive/
#1 - January 17, 2014, 10:28 AM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:32 AM by heatherayris »
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Thanks for posting:)
#2 - January 17, 2014, 11:04 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
 I'm all for using GotPrint.com, (the best in my opinion). :yup

It's interesting that she attributes being hired as an illustrator to one of her promo-mailers. I've heard if your promotional mailer catches an art director's eye, they will watch you as you continue to send them postcards, possibly checking your website and/or blog for updates. Getting a contracted manuscript appropriate for your style and specialty may take time. Once an appropriate story comes to the art director/editor and they've determined they want to hire you, they will contact you.

That was from one art director so the process may vary with different publishers. If you have an agent, it may change things a bit too.

When I got the first email of interest from an art director, I wasn't expecting it as it had been some time since my last promotional mailer. This was a different publisher than the one who shared the information, so it may be the process is pretty general. One day I hope to ask if it was just one mailer or an accumulation of them that caught their eye. (Mine were a series of one subject matter mailed about three months apart).
Thank you for posting the link. I love her style!

#3 - January 18, 2014, 09:07 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

You're welcome Monica!
And yes, there are so many variables , Cynthia. That's why I love reading people's experiences, and of course, seeing the artwork. I LOVE her style too!
#4 - January 19, 2014, 10:54 AM
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
So true. It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all answer to what works. If you sent a total of just one mailer to a publisher, that would be a way to know for certain it was an exceptionally wonderful promotional. I've been curious about mine and which one or if it was the accumulation that worked . . . just happy for the "working" part though.

It may be enlightening to have a portion of a workshop dedicated to critiquing promotional postcards . . . and an exercise of some sort that demonstrates what makes them succeed at a conference. (In addition to having many works to support the postcards on websites and in portfolios).
 :paint
#5 - January 19, 2014, 04:29 PM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:31 PM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

This post couldn't be more timely; I am currently working on a postcard mailer!

I'm due for one, since I haven't sent anything out since 2010. Yeah, better get on it!
For the postcard, I am torn this time between creating a simple image containing one or two characters against a toned background, or going all out and creating an engaging scene. It's tough.

I'm going to play in my sketchbook until I figure it out. Thanks for the link, heatherayris! Maybe I'll post the image when I am done, or even a few sketch options if I get stuck.

:paint
#6 - February 19, 2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks for posting this!
#7 - February 21, 2014, 08:58 AM

You're welcome Sully, and glad to hear you found the post helpful rayna! Dana actually posted a new interview yesterday with C.S. Jennings. He's the illustrator of Nathan Bransford's Jacob Wonderbar series, among others. http://subitclub.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/the-february-postcard-post-c-s-jennings/

#8 - February 21, 2014, 10:52 AM

Southern Breeze Member
New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I love the Postcard Posts on Sub it Club! It's great seeing how different artists approach the creation/layout of the card. Reading through the previous posts really helped with putting my most recent set of postcards together!
#9 - February 24, 2014, 07:17 AM
Digital + traditional illustration featuring maps, animals, and monsters
http://saralynncreative.com/

Yay! That's great to hear sara! Love this series and seeing that it helps people makes it even better! :bananakilt
#10 - February 26, 2014, 02:29 PM

Members: