SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

antagonist in Fantasy Advenure

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hi,
I'm writing a realist magical fantasy adventure for MG. How far into the story can I go before I have to introduce the Antagonist? I have written it with the MC going forth on his adventure, discovering his magic powers and then meeting his love interest/antagonist. The beginning of the story shows a lot of action and discovery on its own and I can build up the character more if need be but I'm not wanting to add the antagonist in yet. Any ideas?
And another question, can the antagonist be something other than a person, like his magic that makes him grow?
Thank you,
Susan
#1 - January 19, 2014, 08:12 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The answer to the second question is easier so I'm starting with it: Yes.

The answer to your first question depends on your story. The antagonists actions can be shown as obstacles the main character faces without the main character knowing someone has put those obstacles in place until near the end. However, this may not work in every POV or for every story. If you feel like what you have is working, get a beta reader or critique group to read. If they agree, you are good to go. If they have questions or feel they are missing something, you may need to rethink your structure. No one can judge this without reading the work.
#2 - January 20, 2014, 12:27 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thank you Debbie,
I appreciate your input. It's a great help.
Susan
#3 - January 26, 2014, 07:03 AM

Members: