SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Fantastic Trilogy/Series Titles

Discussion started on

Hello, all. I am working on getting my agent some potential trilogy titles for my current project. I would love it if you could chime in with some of your favorite trilogy/series titles from currently published works to help me get my head around what a fantastic and unique trilogy title sounds like. Feel free to also chime in with the types of titles that make you pick up a book and/or why you love these titles so much. :)

The two I have come up with so far:
The Mortal Instruments
Song of Fire and Ice
#1 - January 22, 2014, 02:50 PM

Mike Jung

His Dark Materials
The Dragon King Chronicles
Life As We Knew It
A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Cold Cereal Saga
The Queen's Thief
#2 - January 22, 2014, 02:55 PM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
My son is a fanatical series reader, so looking at his bookshelf, I see a lot of books with Chronicles in the titles, so that might actually be something to steer away from. I dunno.

I do like for the title to make it clear that it is a series. A lot of readers want to know that if they fall in love with the world and characters, there are more books available or on the way.
#3 - January 22, 2014, 03:12 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Mortal Engines/Predator Cities/Hungry City Chronicles (all various names of the same series)
#4 - January 22, 2014, 03:27 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
An oldie but a goodie - The Dark Is Rising
#5 - January 22, 2014, 08:50 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Thank you! You guys are awesome. (Mike, I am in awe of how quickly you generated a much longer list than mine.) I wonder how often a book title turns into a series title? That's what I'd originally been thinking would happen with mine, but then there's the advantage of indicating a trilogy with the first book, as Vonna points out.
#6 - January 23, 2014, 09:56 AM

Member.
New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
My kids and I just finished reading the Clockwork Dark trilogy by John Claude Bemis. Loved it.
#7 - January 23, 2014, 10:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place
#8 - January 23, 2014, 10:09 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: