SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Renaissance House art rep

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has worked with Renaissance House art rep? If so what have you heard or what was your experience working with them?

Thanks!
#1 - February 14, 2014, 05:23 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I don't know about them specifically, or even much about art reps in general, but I have heard art reps take a standard 30% (I think), while literary agents that rep illustrators still only take the standard 15%. Art reps handle more than just publishing, i believe, so depending on your needs, it may or may not be the right direction to go in. As I said, I don't know much, so maybe others that have more direct experience will chime in.

Also, if anyone does have specific experience about Renaissance to share, it might be best shared in a pm.
#2 - February 14, 2014, 06:56 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
New!

Remember the adage money comes to the author? In this case it's the illustrator. Paying to be listed on their site is an example of money flowing away from the illustrator. If you contact them you will receive an email with this in it:

"We represent artists on a non-exclusive basis, which means you are free to work and accept projects from anyone that does not contact us directly. If you are selected by one of our clients we will present the project to you; including budget and schedule. Once you accept the project we will enter into an agreement with you.
We charge $95 per year to have you included in our website. You will be able to upload as many images as you wish to our site; you will be featured in our artist page (see www.renaissancehouse.net/featured.htm) and our gallery of illustrators (seewww.renaissancehouse.net/slideshow.htm). We will also give you a page in the quarterly catalog that is mailed to our clients and you will benefit from our extensive advertising campaigns in Google."

Look elsewhere for a rep.
#3 - February 15, 2014, 08:03 AM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:39 PM by Artemesia »
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Yes, paying to be on their site is what  sent up the red flag. However, they do host real illustrators and are in Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Guide to the Market.
#4 - February 15, 2014, 08:30 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
A real rep will sign a contract to represent you before a client contacts them about your work. Proceed with extreme caution.
#5 - February 15, 2014, 10:30 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Members: