SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

MS formatting

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I have a newbie question regarding manuscript formatting -- apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section or has been asked a million times before.

I know that the standard "rule" is that a writer shouldn't make illustration suggestions within the text -- that's for an art director/illustrator to determine. But how do I note illustrations that are used to carry the story along, or that bely the text? Is there a standard way to format this, or do I just put notes throughout the text such as (illustration: young child picking flowers)?

Thanks in advance!
#1 - February 16, 2014, 08:09 PM

Poster Plus
The standard thing would be to put your notes in brackets, like:

[art: child picking flowers]

Sometimes I do things that aren't standard, like in my last book I put the art notes in brackets AND a smaller font size AND in pale blue. That's just to make it easier for the editor to see the flow of the story when there are a lot of notes.
#2 - February 17, 2014, 05:00 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You do need notes for these things, but keep them as simple as possible and use as few as possible. If the notes are becoming redundant, place one at the top of the manuscript so you break the text up as little as possible.
#3 - February 17, 2014, 08:07 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks! Very helpful! BTW, Mara, my daughter and I enjoyed "Me and Momma and Big John." Great job!
#4 - February 17, 2014, 10:18 AM

Poster Plus
Thanks!  :love4:
#5 - February 17, 2014, 01:33 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Members: