SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Attending a conference

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I'm attending my first conference (Houston) in April, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for preparing for the event.
What should I bring?
Laptop or iPad?
Business cards? (What goes on a business card for an author?)
First ten pages of my manuscript? (Just in case.)
My widdle blankie to clutch during my critique? (No, I don't really have a blankie...I swear.)
 :thanks2
#1 - February 20, 2014, 04:26 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hi,

Congrats on going to your first conference! There are some tips here: scbwiconference.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-bakers-dozen-of-conference-tips-for.html.

You definitely want to bring business cards with your name, email, website (if you have one), or other contact information you want to give other writers. Networking with other writers is one of the great benefits of these conferences.

Bring an extra copy of the material to be critiqued, even if it is sent to the editor/agent ahead of time (depending on how the conference runs their critique sessions). 

It's good to practice explaining your WIP in a few sentences.   

Hope that helps!
Yvonne
#2 - February 20, 2014, 05:23 AM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:25 AM by Yvonne Ventresca »
BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES, Sky Pony Press, 2016
PANDEMIC, Sky Pony Press, 2014
YvonneVentresca.com
Twitter: @YvonneVentresca

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you, Yvonne! Great advice.
#3 - February 20, 2014, 07:05 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
scribble girl! Be sure to find me and say hi! I'll be running around, mostly helping out with the bookstore. (Thank goodness they found someone more tech-savvy than I to handle those issues this year!) We need to make sure all the Blue Boarders meet each other.
#4 - February 20, 2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sounds good! Who else is attending the Houston conference? Must put out zee feelers. Will see you at the bookstore. Thank you!
#5 - February 20, 2014, 09:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I have not been to a Houston conf. but I've been to NY and lots of regional ones. Comfortable shoes are a must. Bring what works for taking lots of notes. Cash vs. card only is always wise for beverages etc.

Have fun!
#6 - February 20, 2014, 11:11 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you, Anne! Will do. My tootsies will be in comfy shoes...helen
#7 - February 20, 2014, 11:17 AM

I always bring my laptop to conferences. It's come in handy when an editor who critiqued my manuscript was hoping I could do some minor edits before she submitted my pages for an award. It was really good to be able to do that easily. I have brought full, printed manuscripts to conferences but never used them. A laptop and flashdrive will let you edit, retrieve, and print anything that is needed. And most agents and editors will want you to email a manuscript, anyway.
#8 - February 20, 2014, 11:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Hi, I will be at the Houston conference and so will another blue boarder, Erin. I'm not sure of her screen name off the top of my head. Feel free to private message me, and we can share contact info so that we can find each other.

I take a tote bag to hold my conference folder, any books I buy, and snacks as well as water. I used to take my computer, but it all depends on seating. I know the last couple of conferences I've been to have been at hotels, and there are about 6-8 people seated around the table. There's not always enough elbow room for a full-sized lap-top. I usually just come with pen and paper.

Even though it will be late April in Houston, bring a light sweater or jacket because rooms can be cool. If you're carrying a  tote bag, you may want to go smallish with your purse. So I'd say go comfy and compact so you overall have less to bother with.

Looking forward to meeting you there.
#9 - February 20, 2014, 12:08 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you so much everyone...you have helped oodles and gobs!  helen :thanks2
#11 - February 20, 2014, 06:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Vonna, is there another thread on the Houston conference. I searched and didn't find anything. Wondering how many other blue-boarders are coming. I'm not sure if I'm staying Sunday or not. Probably not. It's my youngest son's 15th birthday. I want to stay for the intensives, but my boy comes first.
#12 - February 21, 2014, 05:06 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Lill, the other thread is on Regional Conferences. BBer jayme-allen has said she is coming. I don't know if there are others. I need to find out and make blue ribbons for all of us to recognize each other.
#13 - February 21, 2014, 06:13 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I had my calling cards printed by MOO.  They did a lovely job.  Enjoy the conference! 
#14 - February 21, 2014, 06:17 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Wearing blue ribbons sounds great, Vonna. So excited. Thanks for the feedback, Lill and Ladyslipper.  MOO...great idea! :thanks2
#15 - February 21, 2014, 06:38 AM

Members: