SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What wouldmake a 3rd grade teacher kids favorite?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am researching for my chapter book and can use some help.
My MC and her friends have a favorite teacher, realistically what would make one teacher the favorite for 3rd graders?
Thanks
Sharon

#1 - February 21, 2014, 12:05 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
The favorite third grade teacher at our school is known for his sense of humor, e.g. reading books in character and making lots of jokes. He'll also go out the playground sometimes to play with the kids at recess. Despite the silliness, he's also known to be strict in terms of classroom rules.
#2 - February 21, 2014, 12:18 PM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
The most popular third grade teacher in my school is very funny, jokes with both the kids and the other teachers - they see her laugh a lot, but she also runs a tight ship. She expects high quality work and behavior from her students and gets it. She's not afraid to have them miss recess or call their parents if they act up or don't do their work. But they know she believes in them and they work hard for her. She also has "in" jokes with her class every year and sometimes calls certain students by pet names. They knew when she was getting married, they know her dogs' names, they know what sports she likes, and she will talk - a little - about her personal life so they feel like they really know her.
#3 - February 21, 2014, 04:18 PM

Traits third graders like in teachers:

fairness - kids this age get very upset if everyone isn't treated equally
fun activities - the teacher who lets you trace her body on butcher paper and then paste on the fake organs will be much more popular than the one who hands out worksheets
high energy level/ highly engaged - it doesn't necessarily have to be the person who's funny, but teachers who are energetic and excited about who kids are and what they're learning are often favorites
#4 - February 22, 2014, 04:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region swtexas
The favorite third grade teacher at our school is a man who tells jokes- silly puns like "Hello Hungry, I'm Mr. Mendez" when the kids get whiny at lunchtime. He also asks them about the activities they participate in after school every day and gives innumerable high fives. He eats lunch with them and gives them a lot of responsibility in the classroom- like board eraser or the student who takes attendance and handles lunch count. In other words he really does enjoy their company and treats them like people.
#5 - February 22, 2014, 06:57 PM
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Member.
Poster Plus
My daughter's 3rd grade teacher was (still is) a history buff and always tells what my daughter says is the best stories. She goes on little tangents to discuss interesting bits of history that the kids love. Everyone loves her because of her obvious love for teaching and learning and knowing exactly the kinds of things 3rd graders love to know.
#6 - February 22, 2014, 10:31 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My favorite teachers growing up were the ones that gave me the sense that they genuinely enjoyed us.  You could see in their eyes that they found us funny and interesting, and they thought it was wonderful to be around us every day.

The most popular teacher in my school is the one who is most fearlessly himself.  He is a talented musician and brings his love for music into the classroom.  He is also the one most likely to spend time playing football or basketball with the kids at recess.
#7 - February 23, 2014, 09:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
There's a nonfiction book I love written by a third grade teacher: Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind by Phillip Done. (His first book, also good, is 32 Third-Graders and One Class Bunny.) He's a popular teacher, too.   8)     
#8 - February 23, 2014, 10:56 PM

Last year when my daughter was in 4th grade the kids loved their teacher in part because she gave out candy for good behavior, correct answers etc. It usually worked out that each kid got one or two pieces a day. 
#9 - February 24, 2014, 04:49 PM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Member.
Poster Plus
I can't imagine any teachers in my kids' school being allowed to give out candy for good behavior or for any other reason, especially one or two pieces a day.
#10 - February 24, 2014, 06:29 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Oh we can give out candy all day...
Favorite teachers at my school are kind, truly love the kids, do fun activities like "Little House on the Prairie Day" or build volcanoes in class... they listen to the kids, and are interested when they talk to them. That sort of thing.
#11 - February 24, 2014, 09:59 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Funny

Doing memorable projects/excursions, like reading a book as a read aloud, so above their level and then meeting at a movie theater on a Saturday

I agree with the character dressing up thing--kids remember this stuff forever! I know plenty who dress up as Viola Swamp and try to fool their kids into thinking the teacher left

Creating a relationship with the child and the family and doing something outside school with them. Sports etc. My daughters favorite teachers came to her dance recitals and brought flowers or gifts.

One of the 3rd grade teachers where I work is Korean and just started a Korean club after school, for ALL kids. This has gained her instant fame within our entire school and they all want to be part of the Korean club!
#12 - February 25, 2014, 10:38 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
No rewarding kids with candy allowed at my school.  My mom used to do it, though, back when she was a third grade teacher.  And yes, it did make her popular.   ::-)  But I'm sure there are more and more schools with policies against it.
#13 - February 26, 2014, 03:59 AM

Members: