SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Querying Easy Readers

Discussion started on

Katey Howes
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm finding that what I thought was going to be a picture book would better suit an easy reader/easy reader series format.  (About 1200 word, short sentences, youthful and dynamic character, moves quickly, would benefit from some illustrations).   Would anyone be able to tell me how to best query with an easy reader proposal?  Most agents I'm seeing ask for full manuscript for PB, first x pages for chapter book.  Where does early/easy reader fall in that?  Should I mention in query I have multiple books of a series or get them hooked with the 1st one? Anyone know of agents/publishers actively seeking this type of book?  Thanks!
#1 - March 05, 2014, 09:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Many agents don't take easy readers. They are often developed in house or by packagers. You may have to go directly to publishers. You query the first book but mention it has series potential.

Grossett and Dunlop may take easy readers.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
#2 - March 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Katey Howes
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks, Debbie.  I appreciate your input!
#3 - March 10, 2014, 10:40 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • SCBWI PAL
If you're an author/illustrator the easy reader market is easier to break into than if you are just the author. If I was querying with an easy reader I'd do the same thing that is required for a picture book, but I'd call it an easy reader. (For example: Pasted below is my complete easy reader manuscript.) I'd also think you'd want 2 or 3 other manuscripts ready to go (either PBs or ERs).
#4 - April 14, 2014, 01:35 PM
DEAR SANTASAURUS (Boyds Mills Press 2013)
EXCELLENT EGOR (Knopf 2015)
101 REASONS I'M NOT TAKING A BATH (Random House 2016)
www.kidlitcoach.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I know Bonnie Bader at Penguin Young Readers group was seeking beginning readers a couple of years back, but I don't know the current status. At that time (summer 2012), she was particularly interested in nonfiction and the earliest leveled readers, but I don't know what the current status is.

I didn't have any luck, but hopefully someone else will!

Kirsten
#5 - April 14, 2014, 04:49 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS, illus. Tracy Subisak (Calkins Creek, 2020)
THE FIRE OF STARS, illus. Katherine Roy (Chronicle, 2021)

Hi Kathryn. I too have Easy Readers and am shopping around for representation. I've only emailed a couple agents so far and have submitted my query & pasted the full MS in the body of the email.

As for who to send to, you should check out QueryTracker. You can search by genre, etc. to find a working list of agents/agencies. You'll still have to sift through the list and research each one but it's a great starting point.

For example in my search I came across Sean McCarthy Literary Agency (NY). Their website didn't differentiate between ER & PB but they have a contact form so I asked. He said, "I do differentiate between picture books and other illustrated books for children. I accept Easy Reader/Chapter Book submissions as well."

Good luck! Feel free to share any tips/insights you learn too!  :draft:

Kelli
#6 - April 22, 2014, 05:19 PM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:32 PM by KelliKM »
KelliKM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Good question as I've wondered myself about one of my manuscripts. :) This board is so helpful!!
#7 - April 22, 2014, 07:43 PM
http://www.writingonthesly.blogspot.com/ - My author blog
http://awindowintogrief.blogspot.com/ - My grief journey blog in the loss of our 16yo. son

Members: