SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

New Directions - I'm confused

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
So I haven't been on in awhile and noticed the new directions.  I have no idea what green stars are or where they would be.  I do not see an SCBWI only section.  When I try to follow the directions, I do not ever see any type of Log In directions...it just takes me right to the boards.  There is no Welcome Guest.   ???  Help?
#1 - March 08, 2014, 08:04 AM
Orthodox Whole Foods Homeschool Mom who LOVES to Write!
http://orthodoxmom3.wordpress.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Here's a bit more help for you, Carol.

1) You must first be a current member of SCBWI to get green stars and see the SCBWI Only boards.

2) If you don't see "Welcome Guest" in the top left corner of the message board then you are currently logged into the board and you see instead "Hello <your board name here>." If you don't see either of these things then you have accidentally turned off your message board header. To turn it back on, click on the little white (almost invisible) carat ^ at the top of the board just to the right of the words, "as created by Verla Kay." The carat needs to be pointing up, like this ^.

2) Log out of the message board and you will see the "Welcome Guest" login box. Be sure to also log out of SCBWI's site and then follow the proper login instructions for SCBWI members at the top of the page. You should only have to do this once.

Let us know if this helps, Carol. We want you to be seeing all of the boards that you are eligible to see!
#2 - March 08, 2014, 08:35 AM
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:38 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I finally figured this out today!  Thanks.  I was having problems getting completely logged out and finding the welcome guest.... once that was found, all the rest fell into place.  One question....why is the SBWI member star dark green and the region star light green?  Is it supposed to be?
#3 - May 02, 2014, 08:24 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yes, regional stars are supposed to be light green. Why? Because it makes it extremely easy for those of us monitoring the board to spot SCBWI members who aren't logged in correctly (which means they aren't seeing all the boards they should be seeing). When we notice that, we immediately take action to help the person get logged in correctly.
#4 - May 02, 2014, 08:33 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thank you!  :)
#5 - May 03, 2014, 10:20 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Hi All,
I'm a little confused by this too. I followed the directions, logged out and back in and all, and seem to be seeing SCBWI only stuff - but I don't see anything anywhere in the boards that says "New Directions". Is it a separate section? Did I still not do it right? I have green stars when I look up my profile (lets see how it posts here though). Still not sure I'm 'in'.
Sorry to be so dense.

Update - well, it looks like my stars are showing up to the left here. Still can't see anything that says New Directions anywhere though, so ... just want to be sure. Thanks!

Paula
#6 - May 03, 2014, 11:38 AM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:52 AM by PaulaP »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
New!
The New Directions for SCBWI members can be found in the News box at the top of the board, Paula. And yes, you did everything exactly right and you are seeing the SCBWI Only areas of the board. (When we see you have your stars, we know you can see the boards.) The green stars do several things for people on the board:

1) They let the Administrators of the board know that SCBWI members are seeing the boards they should be seeing.
2) They identify you as an SCBWI member to others on the board. Because this board is open to everyone, it allows SCBWI members to identify other SCBWI members at a glance.
3) They let others know what region you are in - and whether or not you live physically close to them.
#7 - May 03, 2014, 01:11 PM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:39 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Thanks Verla!
#8 - May 03, 2014, 02:32 PM

Members: