Folding submissions

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
There are no dumb questions, right?  :thanx:

I've only subbed via Submittable but am snail mailing my first magazine piece. It's only two pages, and I'm wondering if it's okay to fold my submission & SASE & mail in a regular (long) envelope. I've seen as much "do not fold" advice as I have "it doesn't matter" advice. So, I thought I'd ask here just out of curiosity. What do you guys do?
#1 - March 12, 2014, 12:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I have been published in Highlights and other magazines and I always fold.
#2 - March 12, 2014, 01:01 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
As an editor, I always found it a bit silly when people sent 2 or 3-page manuscripts unfolded in large envelopes. Fold away!
#3 - March 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

For submissions of 2-3 pages, plus a SASE, I send unfolded
in a large envelope, mostly because of the SASE. It just would
seem too bulky, all of that crammed into a regular-sized envelope.
#4 - March 12, 2014, 09:36 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks for your responses!
#5 - March 13, 2014, 10:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
If it's 2-3 pages, I fold and send in a long envelope.

If it's 3-6 pages, I fold once and send in a 6"x 9" envelope. I bought a box of 250 of these at an office supply store several years ago and have found them really helpful. You still pay only the regular-envelope postage for this size, but folding just once makes it not so bulky. (If you're doing this, don't get the envelopes with metal clasps--at least several years ago, the Post Office made me pay extra for that kind of envelope. I don't know if that's still true.)

If it's more than 6 pages, I send in a big envelope and don't fold.

In the first two cases, be sure the thickness of the envelope doesn't exceed the Post Office's limit. Some post offices seem more strict about this than others.  :)
#6 - March 13, 2014, 12:03 PM
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:36 PM by Ev »

Member.
Poster Plus
Not to beleaguer it, but a couple times I've sent four pages to Highlights (three poems and a cover letter) along with a folded SASE in a standard envelope with one stamp with no problems whatsoever and some acceptances, too.

I say don't sweat it too much.

But, it's always important to read the submissions guidelines. I recently sent a PB manuscript to a publisher (I can't remember which right now) that specifically asked for things unfolded in a large envelope. It wasn't a magazine, but it's good to remember to read everything carefully. If they don't specify, you should do whatever works for you. Just be neat with your folding and stuffing.
:)
#7 - March 13, 2014, 12:45 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
My rule is always magazine submissions = fold. Book manuscripts = no fold, big envelope :)
#8 - March 13, 2014, 07:22 PM
Winston Versus the Snow (Brother Mockingbird Pub) 2019
Nonnie and I (Xist Pub.) 2014
Child Genius - Vol 1, 2, 3 - (Knowonder Pub) '13/'14

Members: