SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Payment from Carus (Spider, Ladybug etc)?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I wonder in what other industry sellers/vendors would be patient enough to wait six months or more to be paid?
#31 - May 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Kristin, I'm glad to see that you heard something from ASK on payment. I published a couple of pieces with them earlier in the year (March and July) and am still waiting. The layouts are simply gorgeous, but it would be nice if they got that accounting issue straightened out soon! :)
#32 - September 24, 2013, 07:29 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
FWIW, my first magazine acceptances came from Babybug in 2006. One of those poems was published in 2010. The rest are comfortably resting in their  :folder:
#33 - September 25, 2013, 04:48 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Just wanted to post an update. Yesterday I received an email asking me to fill out a W9 form so I can be paid for my work. So I guess the payment must be on the way. My poem appeared in the April 2013 issue.

It was worth the wait because I thought they did a great job with it. It's a beautiful publication!
#34 - November 20, 2013, 06:29 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Hmm, really? March 2013 and still no word.
#35 - November 20, 2013, 09:57 AM

Did they ever ask you for a W9?

They must have different months all mixed up together. I'm betting you'll hear from them very soon.

I wonder if they ever sell reprint rights? I know Highlights often does. The reason I'm wondering is that the email came from the "rights and permissions" department.
#36 - November 20, 2013, 12:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
If I remember my timeline correctly, my article came out in the July/August 2011 issue, it was the summer of 2012 when I was mailed the W9 to fill out and mail back, then probably two more months before my check came. I think it was at least a 14 - 15 month process. But that was 2011 and 2012. It looks like things have gotten a little faster. . . .
#37 - November 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, Spring 2021)

Holy shmokes!  SIX years to finally get your stories/poems to print with Carus?!  I've heard about it being a year, two tops for some publications...but six!  Even book publishers don't make you wait that long.  :faint2:
#38 - November 25, 2013, 07:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Dkshumaker, Carus isn't the only magazine entity that stockpiles. I sold an article to Highlights in October of 2010. I actually got to meet the editor who bought it face to face at a Founders Workshop the following fall. She told me that she was pitching my article for the April 2012 issue; or May if April failed. Well, we're wrapping up 2013 and I'm still waiting for the article to appear in print.   The great news with Highlights is that they pay at acceptance. Still, I would like to see the article in print. Sigh.
#39 - December 05, 2013, 08:34 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

I'm in the exact same boat as you with Highlights, Bobi: article sold, not published, and then meeting the editor at a Founders Workshop, asking about it, and hearing that it had not been forgotten. Believe it or not, it's now been 11 years since they bought it  :bewildered: . Nice to be paid on acceptance, yes--but it would be really nice to see it in print!
#40 - December 06, 2013, 09:35 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
11 years?!!  :aah
#41 - December 06, 2013, 09:58 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Oh Leslie. How frustrating for you!! Here's hoping both pieces make into print in 2014!
#42 - December 07, 2013, 06:34 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My article on the sacred animals of Cleopatra's day appeared in the March 2013 issue of Appleseeds.  Just got my payment this week, in March of 2014!  Sure makes me appreciate Highlights pay-on-acceptance policy!  But I must say, Appleseeds editor Susan Buckley is great to work with.
#43 - March 09, 2014, 07:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi there,

I was in touch with people from Carus, and they let me know they are really trying to catch up and be within 2 months of publication by the end of the year.

Here's hoping.

Kirsten
#44 - March 09, 2014, 05:41 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS, illus. Tracy Subisak (Calkins Creek, 2020)
THE FIRE OF STARS, illus. Katherine Roy (Chronicle, 2021)

I also just got paid for an article published in March 2013 (in Spider.)
In other news, a story I sold to Highlights in 2010 will be published in September!  :broccoli

It's not a speedy business we're in, that's for sure. ;)

#45 - March 09, 2014, 07:58 PM

Congratulations on the story coming out in September, Ruth!  :hurrah:

I just found out that my poem will be in the September High Five. It was accepted in 2011, I believe.

And I'm still waiting for payment on my poem that was in the April 2013 Spider. Maybe it will come next month?

Not a speedy business at all! That's for sure! I actually guest blogged about that on Laura Sassi's site today. The post is called "Ten Cures for Writer's Waiteritis".
#46 - March 10, 2014, 05:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I write Teachers' Guides for Cobblestone. They have revamped some parts of their system and are pretty close to caught up for their regular freelancers now. I'm guessing they are at about the two month mark which is a vast improvement for us.

They are working on it.
#47 - March 10, 2014, 08:57 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Just got my check in the mail! Speak of the devil.

As I said before, it was worth the wait. :)
#48 - March 10, 2014, 10:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Me two, or three , or four! All pieces bought by Highlights --rebuses and poems. I think it's been at least 4 years. :wow
#49 - March 10, 2014, 01:05 PM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I received a much belated check from Carus last week. They must be catching up.
#50 - March 10, 2014, 02:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congrats, Ruth and Diana, on your upcoming pieces. :yay

Empathy to those of you still waiting.  :hug Leslie, your 11 years beats my 8 by a long shot.

And hooray to those of you who have recently gotten paid after long waits.

It's great to have the BB, so we can know we're not alone as we're building our patience skills.
#51 - March 10, 2014, 08:24 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
11 years? Crikey! (Sorry, I had to say that.) I wonder how a doctor or plumber would feel about waiting that long for payment.
#52 - March 11, 2014, 02:30 AM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I have an article in this month's Appleseeds--on El Rancho de las Golondrinas in New Mexico. I hope the  :dollar doesn't take a year like it did for my last piece, but I'm proud to be able to claim Appleseeds on my query letters!
#53 - March 13, 2014, 09:48 PM

ePals (Carus' new owner) is making a sincere effort this year to get payments caught up.

-Marcia
#54 - March 14, 2014, 10:43 AM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

Thanks for the congrats, Diana and Ev! Diana, congrats on your upcoming publication, too.
It is great to have a place to compare notes with others... I'd feel so isolated without the blueboards.
#55 - March 15, 2014, 09:27 AM

Yes, I agree! So nice to connect with people who are in the same boat. :)

And thanks, Ruth!
#56 - March 15, 2014, 01:57 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Marcia, thanks for giving us the encouraging word from the Carus owners.   ::-)
#57 - March 16, 2014, 11:35 AM

Members: