SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

"Books every child should read"

Discussion started on

I need to donate some books to my school's auction basket, and the theme is books every child should read. So, obviously I know the classics will be well represented, but I'd love to include some BBers books. It's for board books to junior high. If you've got one out that you think would work would you post here? I'll probably get at least five. Thanks!
#1 - February 28, 2014, 03:54 PM
Robin

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Eek, that "should" and "every" make this a tough one. Do any books qualify???
#2 - February 28, 2014, 07:27 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com

THIS OR THAT, Tilbury House, 2021
THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

I know, it makes me nervous! I hate the word should! But I'd say just books that might have wide vs. niche appeal?
#3 - February 28, 2014, 09:52 PM
Robin

It's easy to think of picture books with wide appeal. Middle graders are harder--they naturally diverge by gender/interest. I hesitate to make sweeping pronouncements even about classics like Charlotte's Web or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I guess I'd look for books that would be enjoyed by both boys and girls. Probably best not to take the theme too literally, and just pick books you and your son like.
#4 - March 01, 2014, 11:31 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
One of Verla's historical picture books would be great to include, I think! And maybe Salina's Penguin and Pinecone, such a sweet story about friendship! Something by Kate Messner too, maybe? So many great books to choose from! And what about Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson? And Melissa Marr has a co-authored MG series out now. First one is called Loki's Wolves. Odin's Ravens is next but not yet out.
#5 - March 01, 2014, 12:50 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Oh, also Stephanie Blake's The Marble Queen, and Alison Formento's These Bees (or Trees or Seas, etc) Count books. Danette Vigilante's The Trouble With Half a Moon. Maya Was Grumpy by Courtney Pippin-Mathur.

It's so hard to make recs of BBer books, because you just want to list them all! Sorry for leaving so many out.
#6 - March 01, 2014, 05:13 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Members: