SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Has anyone else encountered this?

Discussion started on

As a background, I used to write adult science fiction (no publication, just something for fun) centered around "high tech, low life" dystopian environments. When I started novelette one, I had to work to get into like MG voice (its still a bit of trouble). Yet when I started this spin off novelette about a minor character, I'm finding getting back into adult voice almost impossible.

I actually have to work harder to make them cynical and world weary now.:/ Trying to just ends up feeling corny or trite. I'm trying to finish novelette two, but just doesn't really feel the same it used to.

If I write Console Cowboys at all, they are riding dragons or something that indicates it's fantasy. I'm not sure if that's because I semi-discovery wrote this thing. (Where you discover the first six chapters, evaluate the plot questions it promises -- then write then down to remember it for later.)
#1 - March 19, 2014, 08:46 PM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:03 PM by SarahW »
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Hmm, I haven't had trouble switching between age levels, but I'm having trouble switching between books. I have a WIP that I stopped writing for marketability reasons, which had a very good voice, and the WIP I'm actually working on has laryngitis. It's funny (in an eat-a-gallon-of-ice-cream-and-hurl-self-off-cliff sort of way), because it's about the MC trying to find his voice. (Keep looking, dude.) Maybe I'll tell people it doesn't stink, it just has a layered stylistic device they're not sophisticated enough to understand.  :nanana:

I wonder if it would help to read a couple pages of the right genre/age before you sit down to write, to get yourself grounded. Might be worth a try.
#2 - March 19, 2014, 10:24 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I like that idea of discovery-writing -- I haven't tried it but it seems like a good way to stop overthinking, which I do.

Switching voices can always be hard -- maybe the MG voice is closer to your authorial voice these days. And adult doesn't have to be world-weary -- it could use some of the lightness that you're finding in MG, if you have the right story for it.
#3 - March 20, 2014, 04:51 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I let the characters dictate their age level. So going in I may not know right away but I would say pretty early on the characters tell me what age level they are in. Maybe you are struggling because your subconscious is trying to tell you something about the story. Sometimes taking a step back or a break can help with that. Otherwise just go with the direction your brain is taking you. Let yourself just write and make mistakes and worry about fixing it later. See what happens. who knows you might like it.
#4 - March 20, 2014, 05:52 AM

I'm normally an outliner, but semi-outlining seemed to have been what worked out with this one. I might just start a second project, and see what I think of this one later.

Oh I found thinking of the project like this: How the fairy stole an apple, How the fairy rode a horse, et cetera helps a bunch when thinking of each chapter like it's own short story.
#5 - March 20, 2014, 08:31 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm normally an outliner, but semi-outlining seemed to have been what worked out with this one. I might just start a second project, and see what I think of this one later.

Oh I found thinking of the project like this: How the fairy stole an apple, How the fairy rode a horse, et cetera helps a bunch when thinking of each chapter like it's own short story.

I had this same problem! I love to outline, and my first outlined book went with the outline to a T. The next book, despite my best attempt at an outline just refused to bend. The stuff I planned still happened just in a different order. After a while I just had to quit fighting it. My subconscious obviously knew something I didnt and I think things turned out stronger in the end.

I'm finding I even have a different process with the next manuscripts I've started. It seems like very story is different and definitely likes to keep you on your toes.
#6 - March 21, 2014, 06:38 AM

Oh even with the same book, even outlined drafts can be wildly different. I was thinking of possibly having to pitch it as a portal fantasy (with all the baggage attached to that.) Then with draft two it came out as more like hidden world within our own world type of fantasy project. I think I lost a lot of the original tone though.:/
#7 - March 21, 2014, 07:32 PM

Members: