SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture books from POV of pet?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I'm looking for picture books told from the point of view of a pet. (Not a talking animal that's really a person like in the Arthur books, but an animal that observes human characters.) Bonus points if it's historical, like those books about the Lewis & Clark expedition told by the dog. But only picture books. Thanks!
#1 - March 31, 2014, 04:43 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
This isn't perfect for what you described but it might be close. HANNI AND BETH: SAFE AND SOUND by Beth Finke is told from the point-of-view of a Seeing Eye Dog. Hanni explains how she helps Beth to travel safely all  over. Since a guide dog isn't actually a pet, this might not be the type of book you are talking about.
#2 - March 31, 2014, 05:15 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Curious George comes to mind, but I don't know if he's what you want. He doesn't talk, but he doesn't exactly act like an animal either. I think my kids saw him as a child stand in, because they used to say he acted like a brat.
#3 - April 01, 2014, 08:32 AM

Well, I think these are written in third person, but: HARRY THE DIRTY DOG and MR. PUSSKINS

There's also BOOT AND SHOE, but I don't think the dogs really interact with humans, as I recall.

Hmmm. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, maybe UNLOVABLE by Dan Yaccarino? But again, doesn't really involve observing humans.
#4 - April 01, 2014, 08:48 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Maybe the "Dear Mrs LaRue" books about a dog who in letter to his master.
#5 - April 01, 2014, 08:54 AM

Oooooo, I've got a good one! SUNNY BOY: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A TORTOISE by Candace Fleming. This is from Amazon:

I I have always longed for the quiet life. So begins Sunny Boy's tale. As a young tortoise, he enjoys a peaceful life--inhaling the sweet smell of orchids, reciting Latin, licking stamps -- year after quiet year. But fate twists, and our hero falls into the hands of Biff the Brave, an accident-prone performer of daredevil deeds. When Biff attempts his most dangerous stunt --going over Niagara Falls in a barrel --the shy and retiring Sunny Boy is suddenly swept into history's limelight. This wild, funny tale is based on the story of an actual tortoise who went over the falls. Exuberant watercolors full of witty details add to this celebration of the adventurous spirit that resides in us all.
#6 - April 01, 2014, 12:10 PM

Poster Plus
That's just the kind of thing I meant, LeslieG! Thanks! (And thanks to everyone else, too.)
#7 - April 01, 2014, 01:45 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

How about Susanna Reich's MINETTE'S FEAST: THE DELICIOUS STORY OF JULIA CHILD AND HER PET?
#8 - April 01, 2014, 03:08 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

"Can I Be Good?" by Livingston Taylor
"Paul Meets Bernadette" by Rosy Lamb (written in 3rd person but the perspective is wholly from the goldfish, no humans)
#9 - April 01, 2014, 03:19 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
The New Animal, by Emily Jenkins-
#10 - April 01, 2014, 09:37 PM

Members: