SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

As bad as 'It was all a dream?'

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I finished reading my third series today with the following senario...
The bad guy has overwhelming powers.
The hero(es) can't see any way to stop the destruction of the world, but push(es) forward anyway.
The hero gains more confidence and power, but still assumes defeat.
The bad guy is beaten, but the world is destroyed anyway.
The hero uses godlike powers to rebuild a copy of the world.
Man, I hate that. Win or lose, but don't kind-of-sort-of-win-after-everybody-dies-and-gets-cloned.
I think the thing I hate the most, is that the main character suddenly has insight into everything about every living creature. Really? Is it just me?
#1 - April 03, 2014, 06:02 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I can't recall reading a series like that lately, but it sounds incredibly annoying. A copy of something you've come to care about isn't the same thing. And yeah, it seems like if the hero is that powerful, shouldn't he be able to fight off the bad guys in the first place?

Just like "it was all a dream" is the time travel story where at the end they go back and negate everything that happened in the entire book/series. Not a fan.
#2 - April 03, 2014, 06:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
It's kind of like ending a minor song on a major chord. Just wrong.
#3 - April 03, 2014, 06:13 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I would like that ending the first time I read it -- cool! The third time, not cool -- it IS a version of the dream ending, as you say.

Personally, I haven't come across that ending in a book yet, but it reminds me of how Superman rescues Lois in the 1978 movie by turning back time to undo events. If the end doesn't really delve into the physics or metaphysics of recreating or undoing what has happened, it's a cheat.
#4 - April 03, 2014, 07:47 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Z-cat

Yes, just as bad as "it was all a dream" and right up there with a suddenly revealed but previously unmentioned power/ability/magic that will save the day. (can also be in character form)
#5 - April 03, 2014, 10:08 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I just read a book that did that in small ways all along with the character, Lindsey. Instead of setting things up and letting them unfold in their proper time, it was a lot of, and then this happened because MC had secretly done X--but not letting the reader know until it was time for X to pay off. It wasn't annoying on the level of, it was all a dream! --but it was a considerable weakness to the book, and made it not something I'd want to reread. Where is the satisfaction of watching something planted pay off if it's not planted and tended, but just given to you on a platter?
#6 - April 03, 2014, 11:28 AM

Members: