SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cover Letter Question

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I wasn't really sure where to put this question. I hope I picked the correct place!

I am ready to submit my first manuscript. Ahhhh! :)

My manuscript is ready to go, but I just want to make sure I am formatting my Cover letter correctly.

What goes at the top of a cover letter? Is the address of the publisher supposed to be there? Are my name, address, email etc. supposed to be there as well? If so, how do I format these things? I have found a million cover letter examples, but I'm not really sure how to handle the info at the top! It seems so silly. Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I just wanted to check with you guys first!

Thank you!!
#1 - April 13, 2014, 05:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have another question.

Are you supposed to sign your printed cover letter?
#2 - April 13, 2014, 05:34 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Hi Jessica,
Here's a link to a "How To" that makes sense to me - http://kidlit.com/2011/05/02/the-one-right-way-to-write-a-query/
It basically lists what to put in, but that there's no definitive one way that is best. I recently read (can't remember where - maybe here?) to have the person you are sending to at the top, and their contact details, and then your contact details (address, phone no, email, etc) if you are sending the printed query by post (as traditional letters used to do - do they still exist?). If it's an email query, then it's less formal - just the person you are sending to at the top, and your email address and phone no under your sign off at the end. I sign printed queries, but just have my typed full name at then end for emails. I hope this makes sense.
I think I might have read this info on the Blue Boards - have you done a search here?
Best of luck with the query!
#3 - April 13, 2014, 06:00 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
For an emailed cover, I just start off with Dear Mr. Agent:
Then I type my cover letter. End it with Sincerely,  My Name, and then I put in my contact info right underneath my name.

Sincerely,

Lill Pluta
123 That Street
My City, State 98765
myname@email.com
(555) 345-4567

For a printed letter, I put the date, skip a couple of lines and then type in the contact info of whom I'm sending it to on top left.

April 14, 2014

Mr. Awesome Editor
Cool Beans Publishing
Street Address
City, State ZIP

I end the same as the email letter.

I always sign a printed out letter.

I wouldn't get too wound up over this. You want to get the info you need in the letter, you want it to look professional and neat. There are lots of different ways to format. The above is the way I've been doing it for eons.
#4 - April 13, 2014, 09:30 PM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:56 PM by Lill »
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I do it the same way as Lill. Good luck with your submission!
#5 - April 14, 2014, 05:57 AM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Not sure what type of ms you are subbing but here's a link that may interest you. Successful queries. http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/successful-query-letters-for-literary-agents_b62590

And then there's this post from the Sub It Club. http://subitclub.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/show-your-manuscript-some-love-format-that-query-letter-correctly/   

Good luck!

:bananakilt
#6 - April 14, 2014, 02:19 PM
THE KING CAKE BABY (Pelican Pub. Co. Jan 2015)
www.keiladawson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you all for your help. I'm all set to mail off my PB manuscript. I'm going to mail it tomorrow!  :ceilingdance
#7 - April 14, 2014, 06:27 PM

Members: