SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rutgers 2014 Conference - application is up

Discussion started on

Kip, Are you planning to make a Friday night dinner reservation at the Hilton East Brunswick? If so, please count me in. Have you set a time? Anyone else interested?
#31 - October 05, 2014, 09:16 AM
Ellen Ramsey
twitter: @SowingIdeas
www.EllenLRamsey.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hello, fellow RUCCLers!
I'm so excited to be coming to the conference for the first time -- and to meet you all (count me in for dinner Friday)! My major project is an MG (portal) fantasy-adventure (which I subbed to the conference). I also write NF and some short stories, and, worthy of note, I'm Kate's CP.
As a newbie, I'd love to hear any tips from past attendees about making the most of the experience.
TJ   
#32 - October 07, 2014, 07:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I am going - first time for me as well. I'd be up for dinner. I'm staying at that Hilton, too.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
#33 - October 08, 2014, 05:14 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Can't wait to see everyone A WEEK FROM TODAY!!! AAAAAAH!

And hopefully some of you Friday night too. I called the Hilton East Brunswick and they said their cafe is closed on Fridays (though the website says it's open) but that the sports bar is open and has food and we don't need a reservation.

I'm planning on getting there midafternoon, so I'll verify what the dealio is when I get there, but at the very least, we could meet in front of or inside the sports bar at 6:30 or so, and we can always meander elsewhere if it's annoying.

I probably won't check back here that day, but please do come and bring friends! Feel free to ping me on twitter (@kiperoo) if you can't find us!!

See you all soon!
#34 - October 11, 2014, 11:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for organizing, Kip. See you there!
#35 - October 12, 2014, 11:25 AM
www.carriefinison.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
#36 - October 14, 2014, 08:58 AM
www.carriefinison.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
TJ and I will likely arrive around 7:00 or so, and will come looking for you guys in the sports bar. If you decide to find a different spot, we'll try to track you down through twitter (I'm @SuperKate). Can't wait! See you soon!
#37 - October 15, 2014, 06:20 AM
Twitter: @SuperKate
Check out my middle grade book recommendations at www.kidbooklist.com.

Hey there kidlit sisters and brothers,
I'm gettin' ready now to go to Rutgers!
I can't be at the Hilton 'till after eight,
So see you at the bar if it's not too late!
If you split I'll be all stuck in a dither,
Can't find your location 'cause I'm not on twitter!
#38 - October 16, 2014, 01:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Jeff! I'm guessing we'll still be there at 8:00 so please look for us!

@SuperKate, I just found you on twitter. :-) Looking forward to meeting you and TJ. And seeing Carrie and Mrsbear and anyone else who can make it. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! See you all tonight!
#39 - October 17, 2014, 03:52 AM

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

And I'm excited about attending RUCCL again. Can't wait to meet my mentor, whoever it is. I'm bringing along a pile of synopsis and  openings, just in case there is extra time for pitching.
#40 - October 17, 2014, 06:15 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
It was so great to meet all of you! What an amazing conference. I'm still on a bit of a high, and itchy to get back to my manuscript to implement the feedback I got. I hope everyone who went had an easy trip home and a relaxing Sunday!
#41 - October 20, 2014, 06:05 AM
Twitter: @SuperKate
Check out my middle grade book recommendations at www.kidbooklist.com.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It was great to meet you, too. What an amazing conference! Fantastic energy! I'm off to revisionland as well.

And thank you to Kip, for organizing the dinner get-together!
#42 - October 20, 2014, 07:23 AM
www.carriefinison.com

RUCCL was excellent this year! To me, the keynotes and panel resonated on a more personal level than past conferences. Both Jennifer Doktorski and Nancy Werlin gave inspiring talks that shared their kidlit experiences and survival techniques. And what an opportunity to network with industry professionals! At one point I looked up from my roast beef sandwich and four well know agents were sitting next to me! Anyone for MG pitches during lunch? But maybe the best part was reconnecting with fellow writers and meeting new ones. How cool was the Blueboard dinner, to see friends from the 2008 RUCCL, or to be able to discuss our common writerly struggles and triumphs? So glad to be part of this scene!
#43 - October 22, 2014, 12:57 PM

It was a wonderful conference this year and it was lovely to see some fellow blueboarders, if only briefly. Boy, the day really flies by and I wish I'd been able to make it to the dinner, too. Next time...

Good luck on revisions and submissions!
#44 - October 22, 2014, 02:55 PM
THESE THINGS COUNT! award-winning nature series Albert Whitman
TWIGS (YA)  Merit Press
www.alisonashleyformento.com

Members: