SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for Roald Dahl audiobooks

Discussion started on

Does anyone have suggestion where I could obtain Roald Dahl audio books? I only managed to get an excerpt of the BFG.
Thanks.

eta: Fiona, I moved this from where you originally posted because I thought you would get response if it was a separate topic.   AnneB
#1 - April 25, 2014, 09:11 AM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:25 AM by AnneB »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Fiona, you could check to see if your public libraries lend audio books. Ours do in the States, both on CD and digitally. I believe my system still has some available on cassette tape! You also might be able to find used copies for sale online.
#2 - April 25, 2014, 11:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
If your local libraries don't have the actual audio CDs, they may have free access to downloadable files.
#3 - April 25, 2014, 03:11 PM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Anne: audio books, according to the children's librarian, are not that popular. There were about fifteen available. My best option is online, apparently so I will have to go engine searching.
There was a book festival here at the weekend. Rather disappointing, unfortunately.
Looks like I will have to pay a humongous fine since I can't find the books I misplaced...and buy a Kindle. Not sure I relish that thought. I prefer to hold the book but I might be less likely to lose an electronic device than a paperback.
Thanks for your help.
#4 - April 28, 2014, 07:13 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Our libraries here in Boulder have audio books of a few Roald Dahl books. We can access and check them out online via Overdrive and then listen to them on a smartphone or mp3 player. I know that many libraries have this service.
#5 - April 28, 2014, 09:23 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Thanks Jeanne. My local library does have a few audio books but not many and I need to renew my card...and pay a fine (which is John's fault for not returning items borrowed on my card :slap ). When he pays it I shall seek them out.
#6 - May 01, 2014, 09:31 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I know this thread is old, but wanted to add that there are a suprising number of audiobooks on youtube.com.  If you do a search for Roald Dahl you'll have many options from which to choose.
#7 - March 21, 2015, 07:25 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I did not know that, natalee. How interesting!  :thankyou for sharing this.
#8 - March 21, 2015, 08:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thundering, you could try half dot com. It's a division of ebay (I think). You can get some incredible deals there.
#9 - March 21, 2015, 09:47 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Wow! This is an old thread, but I do appreciate your input. :thankyou :yourock I have Charlie & the chocolate factory, George's marvellous medicine & The BFG excerpt. I'll have a look at some of your other suggestions.
Roald Dahl had such an inspiring way with words. He still gives me shivers at times!
#10 - March 21, 2015, 11:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hi Fiona!

You can find Roald Dahl audio books in his official website: http://www.roalddahl.com/shop/audio
and on YouTube too: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roald+dahl+audio+books+full

Hope it helps!

Have a great week!

Mercedes
#11 - August 24, 2015, 05:33 AM

Thanks Mercedes.
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, read by Eric Idle is a favourite of mine. And always seems to come on when I am making truffles.
#12 - August 24, 2015, 06:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
You're welcome, Fiona! I agree, that's a perfect book to inspire truffle making... :)
Happy (yummy) listening!
#13 - August 24, 2015, 07:43 AM

Members: