SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Art Supply company request for art

Discussion started on

Blick Art Supply company contacted me for use of one of my pen and ink illustrations as an advertisement for the Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pens in their upcoming catalog. The terms were just a link back to my website. There was no discussion about rights or was there any offer of payment.
Any advise or opinion as to my response?

Monica Minto

www.monicaminto.com
#1 - April 30, 2014, 08:53 AM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Ask them about rights and payment. It sounds like you want to know what the terms are up front, and they should tell you. It helps to know terms so you can decide whether or not to participate. Make sure you're comfortable with whatever the terms are before you say yes or no. And you can say no, if the terms aren't good for you. Hope it works out.

Congratulations! It's cool that they asked (whether you say yes or no)!
#2 - April 30, 2014, 09:31 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
What she said. A link isn't much incentive.
#3 - April 30, 2014, 10:21 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

I first read "paper" when I saw the word catalog. A link would not be very helpful at all there! So this is a digital catalog? How long will it be up? Do you need this promotion? (If it were me, I would need some cash consideration. Graphic artists for advertisements get paid!)

Good luck and congrats for getting noticed. Your work is excellent.
#4 - April 30, 2014, 10:55 AM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

Thanks for your input - it is to be a hard copy printed catalog not just a digital one and sent out to "professional artists" according to the email offer.  But you're probably right, an website link only will not do me much good.
#5 - April 30, 2014, 06:18 PM

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I think they can afford to pay you a little bit! I mean even a small amount would at least be them showing value for your work. I can't see how a link back would benefit you at all. Most of the people who browse their catalogues are artists but not necessarily art directors. I would consider turning them down unless it's an image you already display on your website. Those are already considered published, and having that work out in more places isn't a bad thing. It's one of those things were an art director might see your portfolio and remember that you did work for Dick Blick. There is also a chance Dick Blick might want to purchase your work in the future, or they might just expect more free work from you. If you have it up on your website, then it might be worth giving them the rights to use it (but make sure the contract is only for that one type of use). Usually, there isn't a good reason to give away your work, but if it's work that's already being used for your portfolio alone, then it might be worth giving it more use.
#6 - June 03, 2014, 07:43 PM

Members: