SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing Discipline

Discussion started on

Anyone want to talk about their writing discipline...especially if you have multiple projects.

My debut novel will be out next month. I have 20K words on a contemporary ghost story/mystery. 8k words on a historical mystery and notes on a cozy. I'm also 39 weeks pregnant today. So my writing discipline is currently lost in my ginormous pregnant self.

If you're a parent, when do you write? If you work full time, when do you write?
#1 - May 01, 2014, 12:41 PM
www.kimberlyggiarratano.com
Author of YA novel, Grunge Gods and Graveyards (Red Adept Publishing, 2014)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
When my kids were babies and toddlers, I wrote from 9pm to midnight almost every night. I then went to bed and got up at 7am. At those ages the kids didn't necessarily sleep all night every night, but on the whole this worked. Assuming someone had a day job with conventional hours, this or something close to it may work even if you hold a job AND parent. Once you're past the very new stages with your baby, maybe something like this would work for you?

And congrats on the new little one!  :pregnant :baby1 :babygirl :newbaby: :stroller
#2 - May 01, 2014, 12:55 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Thanks! Right now, my 2-year-old is waking up at midnight and 5am. That's been fun. I think I'll be back in writing shape after the baby comes and my brain returns to some type of normal function.
#3 - May 01, 2014, 03:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I'd say write when you can, and don't worry about it when you can't. Those babies grow up fast.

Congratulations on the coming wee one.  :baby1
#4 - May 01, 2014, 09:14 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I work full time, and I find that I can't physically write every day but I do have to have a schedule. I do most of my writing and editing on the weekends, but I do have at least one night during the week that I tag up with other local writers to get stuff done. I find I'm usually juggling writing something and editing something else at the same time. This is when I try to set aside at least one day for writing and one for editing. But as one projects nears completion whether first draft almost done or a major edit almost done, I tend to throw all my energy into that thing until I finish then I can go back to the other project full time.

The biggest thing for me though is getting into a rhythm and sticking too it. If i let myself off the hook or skip one of my "writing" days it can quickly become a downward spiral. So when things get really busy on the weekends I find I have to step back and refind my groove which can be tough but is necessary sometimes.
#5 - May 02, 2014, 06:11 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm pretty sure with a new baby, a lot of things slip to the side. It's okay. It will come back.

I must admit, I have always envied people whose children go to bed at 7 pm on the dot and sleep 12 hours every night, all after a three hour nap every day. Not a one of my five kids has EVER done that. I've found that you have to be creative. That you find what works the best for YOU. And that you have to be ready to switch schedules, because as soon as they figure out you're being productive--they adapt. :)

It's not all bad, though. My best writing and my best ideas come from having children. Think of them as your in-house research specimens. ;) Because *most* of the writing process goes on inside your head. It's just finding the time to write it down is the trick.

Be kind to yourself, enjoy your little baby, and good luck! We get it. We REALLY get it!
#6 - May 02, 2014, 06:17 AM

I actually think I might get more writing done with she arrives because right now, I can't breathe or think.
Nap time is my salvation. I always write then.
#7 - May 02, 2014, 06:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations on your new book and new baby!!! As for writing discipline with multiple projects and babies, there was ... little. I'd write during a morning nap. Try during an afternoon nap, but usually I fell asleep. And as Rose said, as soon as you slip into a routine, the baby figures it out ...

It's always been easy for me to juggle multiple NF projects with a single fiction project, but not multiple fiction. Usually, I'd save the fiction for the night-time when there would be fewer interruptions.

Enjoy your new little one and don't stress over what you can or cannot do. Take naps, nibble toes, read and write as much as you are able.

Vijaya
#8 - May 02, 2014, 09:43 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I started by writing during naps and moved on to pre-school. When I had my second, I added a quiet time - the eldest watched TV or read for an hour while the baby napped. I'm not sure how soon I made this work time. (On weekends, my husband and I take this hour together - I very much recommend it.) Now I write for about 3 and a half to four hours a week on a fiction project. Quiet time on weekdays has been replaced by after school activities. Of course, there is thinking time too. Not all time spent on writing involves actual writing. I also complete other assignments during the rest of the week.

Establishing a schedule early is great, but be flexible with it. Change as needed. Oh, and don't forget to eat, exercise, and sleep. (Do the first two when the baby is awake.) You'll be a better parent and a better writer.

#9 - May 05, 2014, 11:34 AM
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:39 AM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I'm a single mom and I work full time. I write during nap time on weekends, and from 8:30 until 10:30 every night. It's a choice I'm content with. If I want to be a writer, I can't watch TV. I just don't have time for both. The only thing I miss is the Big Bang Theory, now that How I Met Your Mother is no more.
#10 - May 10, 2014, 11:23 AM

Members: