SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

walking boosts creative thought

Discussion started on

Interesting article. Walking has always worked for me. I remember reading On Writing by Stephen King and was struck by the fact he walks four miles a day.   :mower:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-creative-walking-study-20140425,0,4769211.story
#1 - May 04, 2014, 11:59 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I love to walk -- there are times when I can tell it's boosting my creativity.  Other times, it simply seems to clear my mind and get rid of the busy-ness...
#2 - May 04, 2014, 02:50 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Yes, I saw this link too. I'm glad it's getting publicity and that science is bearing it out, because empirically, it sure works!
#3 - May 04, 2014, 03:49 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Interesting!  I've certainly found it to be true.  About a year ago I bought a treadmill desk that fits over my treadmill and began writing while walking very slowly (.5 to 1.5 mph).  I found I was more productive and able to maintain a steady writing pace that I couldn't do when I sat.  Sitting and writing often led to big chunks of time where I didn't know what to write and just sat thinking.  That happens much less when I write and walk.  I got the treadmill desk idea right here on the Blueboards.  I'm glad to know there is some science to back it up!
#4 - May 04, 2014, 07:39 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've always read that the great English authors walked a lot ... I have a dog and thank God for her because come rain or shine, I walk. I find that any outdoor work gets the writing pump primed, as does writing letters.
Interesting that it doesn't matter whether one is active indoors or out. Makes sense. I find washing dishes, playing piano, etc. all helpful to get the creative juices flowing.
Rebecca, I've often wondered whether I could ever be coordinated enough to walk and write at the same time. It's wonderful that the treadmill desk is working so well for you.
Vijaya
#5 - May 05, 2014, 08:08 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I also love to walk! I try to get in 5 miles/day right after I drop off the kids. I can almost feel when the endorphins kick in.
#6 - May 05, 2014, 08:50 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Chronic
Poster Plus
This is so cool and matches my own experience - I absolutely love to walk and miss it so much now that I've had a downward spiral case of severe plantar fasciitis of 18 months that has left me barely able to stay on my feet for 15 minutes at a time. Hope I can kick it so I can get back to walking!
#7 - May 05, 2014, 12:14 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Me too! And especially what Vijaya said. Inactivity does nothing for my creativity or energy - makes it worse! The busier I am doing tasks the more creative I seem to feel. But the 'busy' needs to be physical rather than mental, ie busy doing the dishes, or cleaning windows etc.
#8 - May 05, 2014, 12:35 PM

... miss it so much now that I've had a downward spiral case of severe plantar fasciitis of 18 months that has left me barely able to stay on my feet for 15 minutes at a time...

:( Ew, I have no idea what this is -- off to google -- but it sounds truly terrible. So sorry, C.K!! Hope you are back to walking soon!

#9 - May 05, 2014, 03:20 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Members: