SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrator gallery dimensions

Discussion started on

alex.mankiewicz

Apologies if this is somewhere else on the board - have searched. I've just joined as an illustrator and would like to upload images to the gallery. Is there an ideal image dimension? Obviously would like to keep height uniform and have them fit neatly on tablet. A do the thumbnails au automatically generated?  Thanks.
#1 - May 12, 2014, 03:46 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Alex, the Illustrator Gallery is on the main SCBWI website, not on this forum; you may want to look around on the main site for the answer to your question, or use their contact form to ask.
#2 - May 12, 2014, 06:28 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I don't know either and am glad you asked! Hope someone will chime in with the answer. Adding images to the gallery is on my to do list too. Though if nobody knows, Marissa's suggestion to contact the office sounds like a good one.
#3 - May 12, 2014, 08:15 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

alex.mankiewicz

I looked first on the site, couldn't find any reference or guide. No doubt it can be figured out through trial and error, but would be very helpful - and less time-consuming preparing files - to know an optimal suggested size (probably height - obviously one dimension will always vary between images). If anyone who knows or has posted images read this, a recommendation would be very appreciated.  Thanks.
#4 - May 12, 2014, 03:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
It says max. 4mb and that they need to be png, jpeg or gif. I guess you have to try it and see!

Modified to add: I just uploaded some (all jpegs) and found it all very straightforward. They all come up the same size regardless of how big they are in terms of pixels in height/width - I uploaded some that were higher res than others and there was no difference in the size they came up on the screen. The thumbnails you do yourself with a simple drag/box tool (for want of the proper technical term!).

Glad you posted this otherwise I would probably never have done it! Good luck!
#5 - May 12, 2014, 05:34 PM
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:03 PM by Franzilla »

alex.mankiewicz

Thanks. Have done it now and there is a slight difference in the way the images come up, although the program is clever enough to adjust them to the screen which is great. For anyone reading this who hasn't done it, making the images the same height - or rather portrait images one height and landscape ones another uniform height - aLlows a viewer to scroll more easily with the arrows.
#6 - May 14, 2014, 03:05 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Great tips for illustrators on the sizing of images for the gallery, Alex. Thanks!
#7 - May 15, 2014, 06:31 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Members: