SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Night Fairy

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Who has read The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz?
#1 - May 24, 2014, 05:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I have. I couldn't resist that cover!
#2 - May 24, 2014, 05:59 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes, the cover art and illustrations are beautiful.  My two favorite illustrations are the ones of Flory talking to Skuggle the squirrel for the first time and Flory riding the hummingbird at the end.  The title is what caught my eye, though, because it has the word fairy in it, and I love anything with fairies.
This book lived up to my hopes and expectations by going into a lot of detail on a fairy's relationship with the natural world.  In doing so, it made some very good points about both Nature and humanity, such as how all animals need to eat, so eating other animals is not an evil deed, and that humans shouldn't expect birds to trust them even if they put feeders up for them, since humans eat chickens.
I also thought, though, that Flory, Skuggle the squirrel, the hummingbird, the spider, and Peregrine the bat all could have been better developed characters.  When I read the part about Flory loosing her wings, I hadn't had enough time getting to know her to feel adequately sad about that.  Schlitz should have done more to introduce Flory to the reader before she lost her wings.  She should have done more to introduce the other four characters to the reader, too.
The book also could have told us more about night fairies and day fairies.  I was disappointed that Flory didn't meet any other fairies in the story.
What do you think of The Night Fairy story and illustrations?  Please let me know.  I'd like to get different opinions on it.
#3 - May 25, 2014, 11:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I was so excited to read it when I first bought it and honestly, the first time I read it, I felt a bit let down. It all seemed too easy, too quick, too short! The story wasn't complex, it wasn't high tension, I didn't feel as though I wanted to read several more books with Flory as a MC. But then I re-read it and it kind of dawned on me that the writing was beautiful and the scenes were so well written, too. I rather loved the lack of fast pacing or dramatic tension (there was some but not as much as in many other books). It felt like a beautifully simple book.

I realised too that I'd been able to imagine the entire story and the characters perfectly in my mind, something in itself that indicates the writing is excellent, I think. I think reading it for the second time gave me time to savour it, rather than gobble it up (which is how I often read books, naughty me!).

So I guess I'm saying it's an unusual book in that it didn't immediately grab me, but now I adore it. Have you tried reading it again?
#4 - May 25, 2014, 07:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I haven't reread it, but I think I will.
I already appreciate what I feel are the book's strong points, but reading it again might help me appreciate more about it.
I actually didn't think the story's not being complex or having high tension was a problem.  I guess I appreciated it as a simple story the first time I read it.  I will admit that I'm not usually one to "gobble up" books, so that's not a surprise.  I'm not bragging though; sometimes I wish I could read faster than I do!
I already said what I do feel are problems with The Night Fairy, but I don't think being a simple story is one of them.  I also agree that it is beautifully written and thus easy to imagine.
If anyone else has read The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz, please share your opinions here.
#5 - May 26, 2014, 04:52 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm a Laura Amy Schlitz fan, as in she's one of my very favorite authors...and THE NIGHT FAIRY is the one book by her I couldn't finish. I adore beautiful writing, and in books such as SPLENDORS AND GLOOMS there's big plot and micro-tension and beautiful writing that makes you admire every sentence, and I just loved living there on all the levels at once. I loved A DROWNED MAIDEN'S HAIR for all the same things (though on a less ambitious scale) and I think GOOD MASTERS, SWEET LADIES is utterly brilliant. But, for me, beautiful writing does not trump story and character development, and I just wasn't into the characters in THE NIGHT FAIRY. I didn't care.
#6 - May 26, 2014, 06:58 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I haven't read Laura Amy Schlitz's other books, but I know what you mean.  I think one of The Night Fairy's biggest problems was that the characters weren't very well developed.
I will look for the other three books you mentioned by Laura Amy Schlitz.
Again, please share your opinions if you have read Laura Amy Schlitz's The Night Fairy.
#7 - May 26, 2014, 07:21 AM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:23 AM by lily-stejskal »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I agree that character is the main draw in a book but I can sometimes enjoy a book purely for the writing and descriptions. When I read THE GIRL WHO CIRCUMNAVIGATED fairyland in a ship of her own making (Valente), for example,  I didn't connect with the MC one bit, but the words alone made me enjoy the book.
#8 - May 26, 2014, 08:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, wow!  I've read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land in a Ship of Her Own Making!  I'll go start a discussion on that.  Feel free to join in.
#9 - May 26, 2014, 08:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
If you have any more opinions on The Night Fairy, please feel free to share them here.
#10 - May 26, 2014, 07:28 PM

Members: