SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Books for Teenage Boys

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I thought I'd start a thread for two-fold reasons. My 15-yr old son is a voracious reader but is often unenthusiastic about going to the library now that we're within walking distance. Go figure. However, he'll pick up anything I'm reading, which is aggravating. But at the same time, it gives me a way to introduce him to some wonderful authors. He likes adventures, thrillers. Not into paranormal stuff and neither do we encourage it.

His favorites so far: Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, Francisco Stork, Markus Zusak, GK Chesterton, CS Lewis. As you can see, he is not opposed to reading classics. Christian worldview is a plus.

I'll probably introduce him to Randy Ingermanson, Matt de la Pena, John Green and the Emperor series by Conn. And some Ian Fleming. But I'd love some younger recs along the lines of Frank Cottrel Boyce, Ian Colfer.

The second reason is that my friend Gary Ludlam has just published a beautiful historical, AACHEN, set during the reign of Charlemagne. I enjoyed it tremendously and would like to add it to the list for good books for teen boys. I reviewed and did an author interview on my blog if you are interested in reading.

Thanks Blueboarders.
Vijaya
#1 - May 27, 2014, 01:26 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Chronic
Poster Plus
I know you said he's not into paranormal but what about sci-fi and fantasy? Specifically I'm thinking about the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis and Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta.
#2 - May 27, 2014, 02:06 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Mike Jung

On the younger end there's this great, fast-paced, adventure-filled book called Geeks, Girls, and Secret Identities. *ducks*
#3 - May 27, 2014, 02:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
What about the book about Pat Tillman (there are several, but the Jon Krakauer one is probably a good bet, as would be any of his books--Into the Wild, Into thin Air, etc).

Also American Sniper and the book by Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor)
#4 - May 27, 2014, 02:47 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The Michael Vey books (Richard Paul Evans) are good adventure types (sci fi, I'd say, though the kids have 'abilities' caused by...something), and they're pretty clean.  Even the violence is downplayed.

Ender's Game, of course ;)

The Sylo series by D.J. McHale is another where the adventure is forefront and the violence is downplayed a bit.
#5 - May 27, 2014, 03:35 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
So excited to see this thread since I have the same problem with my 15 year old. In a fit of desperation and with state-mandated testing occurring the next day (which takes him about 45 of the 4 hours to complete) I started him on Tom Clancy (had to grab something on hand and he's enjoyed what he's read so far). He has read most of the classic authors (Lewis, Tolkien, etc.) and some of the younger ones (Colfer, etc.) so I'm happy to have a new list to draw from.

In terms of recommendations to add to the list, he enjoyed the Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz.

#6 - May 27, 2014, 03:37 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
If he likes Clancy, I'll rec Rick Campbell's new naval thriller, The Trident Deception. It's a grown-up book, but reviewers have commented on how "clean" it is -- not even bad language. I haven't read it but I bought as a gift.
#7 - May 27, 2014, 03:50 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Our son greatly enjoyed John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. It's set in the Middle Ages, has lots of adventure and only as much violence as you need to have a proper sword fight. He has a new series, Brotherband, in a similar vein. I think the first couple Ranger's Apprentice books feel slightly younger. 

He also liked Gary Paulsen's Tuckett's Travels (5 books). He was a little younger when he read them, but they might work for a fifteen-year-old.

Maggie Stiefvater's books are wonderful, although there are paranormal elements. But if he doesn't mind carnivorous horses, I'll bet he'd really enjoy The Scorpio Races.
#8 - May 27, 2014, 03:59 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Ugh, I wrote a long answer but it vanished. I'll try to re-create: My 15 yo son devours books, especially sci-fi. He enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice books, but he LOVES Ender's Game. He's read the whole series and is eagerly awaiting his pre-ordered copy of the new book which gets released next month. He also enjoyed the older YA books by Paolo Bacigalupi, Ship Breaker and The Drowned Cities, and James Dashner's Maze Runner series. He also liked Frank Herbert's (adult) Dune series.
#9 - May 27, 2014, 04:15 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

How about an e-book? The action adventure sci-fi, Ambassador From Earth, comes to mind. *who like M. Jung, ducks*

:)
#10 - May 27, 2014, 04:40 PM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

i really enjoyed Patrick Ness' MORE THAN THIS.

does he not read heroines at all? i know cinda chima has
a legion of fans for her Seven Realms Series, and it has
both male and female povs. it starts with THE DEMON KING.

also, Holly Black's WHITE CAT.

i loved loved MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD and
THE LAST SUMMER OF THE DEATH WARRIORS.

i also just read YAQUI DELGADO WANTS TO KICK YOUR ASS
and loved that too.

FAKE ID by LR Giles is also great.
#11 - May 27, 2014, 04:48 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, thank you, thank you all!!! And please don't be shy about self-promoting. Lots of times when I see your avatars, I remember your books. He's read a lot of these but not all, so please keep the recommendations coming. He can read a book in a day and I want the best for him.

He has preference for male leads, and likes sci-fi, less fantasy. I often order a big stack of books and let the kids plow through them. It's always interesting what they gravitate towards. We also read a ton of NF, but are never at a loss to find great titles.

It still irks me that when I had to drive, they were constantly bugging me to go to the library, and now that they can go on their own, they can't be bothered to browse the way we used to. But really, it's their internet usage. It has gone up in the last couple of years from perhaps 30 min to 3 hours and it has changed them. We've set a limit of 2 hrs/day for the summer. And yes, we've all read the book: The Shallows by Nicholas Carr.

Thanks so much for sharing and for letting me kvetch too.
Vijaya

#12 - May 27, 2014, 06:40 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
If he likes Michael Crichton, he may enjoy Karen Dionne's environmental thrillers, Freezing Point and Boiling Point. I've read them both and they definitely qualify as 'clean.' The violence tends to come from natural elements verses people killing people. And I don't think there's any swearing at all. They're multi-POV books, though, with, I think, as much time spent in the male characters' heads as the females'.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#13 - May 27, 2014, 07:21 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Yes, Vonna reminded me that my son also loved The Maze Runner -- and he just got Dashner's new series (Eye of Minds).

If any of these boys are open to sci-fi mixed with horror (very Stephen King-like, in some ways), Michael Grant's Gone series is pretty good.  I'm not a huge horror person, but I enjoyed these and was able to ignore the grosser/creepier parts.

Also, the Taken (by Erin Bowman) series is a dystopic/sci-fi with a male POV.
#14 - May 27, 2014, 09:03 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Thanks, Vijaya. It is a bit hard to promote my husband's book. He has no time to begin understanding internet book marketing and his book is not well positioned in his niche of books for boys, but it's a start and I do what I can for him.

{If you do read it, we would love love a review even if you just pm me.  ::-) }
#15 - May 28, 2014, 06:24 AM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
 :hiding From the *duck* list: The Farewell Season.

#16 - May 28, 2014, 07:59 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
If he likes Dean Koontz, he might like some of Stephen King's books. I highly recommend HEARTS OF ATLANTIS  and 11/22/63, which are more reality-based, with historical and sometimes time-travel aspects. HEARTS is about the Vietnam War and 11/22/63 is an alternate timeline about the Kennedy assassination. Both excellent reads with heart (no pun intended).
#17 - May 28, 2014, 09:28 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

April Henry's books are YA thrillers with both boy and girl povs in them. Body in the Woods is coming out soon or just came out and it's great for boys or girls with an interest in search and rescue.
#18 - May 28, 2014, 02:32 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
He might enjoy Mathew Kirby's ICEFALL. THE HUNGER GAMES, of course, if the violence isn't objectionable. Jennifer Nielsen's THE FALSE PRINCE. (That's the first of a trilogy, set in the Middle Ages.) And Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series might keep him busy for a while.
#19 - May 28, 2014, 02:52 PM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:59 PM by dewsanddamps »
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm salivating :) Many thanks, you all ... I knew you'd introduce us to some great authors. I'll be coming to this thread often.

Barb, you reminded me how much he enjoyed alternate history novels. Will look for more of those, too.

Vijaya

#20 - May 29, 2014, 07:18 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Oh, and I just finished Matthew Kirby's THE LOST KINGDOM. Wonderful!
#21 - May 29, 2014, 01:45 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
A few more for your loooong list:

DIVIDED WE FALL by Trent Reedy
The GONE series by Michael Grant, has some paranormal elements but reads more like a scifi thriller
THE TESTING series by Joelle Charbonneau, dystopian with a HUNGER GAMES feel
THE FALSE PRINCE by Jennifer Nielsen, on the younger side
THE FIFTH WAVE by Rick Yancey, dystopian
The INSIGNIA series by S.J. Kinkaid, a modern version of Ender's Game
#22 - May 29, 2014, 07:19 PM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Members: