SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What's The Size Of A Walnut?

Discussion started on

Right now, I feel that's the size of my brain.

I need, for comparison, something that is the size/shape of a walnut that kids (5-8) would easily know. Ping-pong/golf balls are double the size of a walnut, even if kids knew what they were. The base of a chocolate kiss is the size of a walnut, but it isn't round. I'm about ready to hit the bottle over this, so I thought, hmmmm, rum balls!...which, course, I can't use.

Walnuts are a smidge bigger than 3/4".

It doesn't matter what it is--a food, a toy, something in/on a car, something common in classrooms....

If something comes to me after I hit "send," I really am going for the bottle. It seems likely, though, I'll hit it if doesn't, too.

:beating Any donation you can make to stop this self-abuse is appreciated.

#1 - June 27, 2014, 06:17 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Marbles?
Gumballs?
Grapes?
A dandelion before you blow it?   ::-)

Good luck! I'll keep thinking...
#2 - June 27, 2014, 06:44 AM
COWHIDE-AND-SEEK (Running Press Kids, 2019)
Twitter:  @sheridillard
Blog:  https://tellmeastory120764850.wordpress.com/

I have a black walnut tree next door and an army of squirrels planting them all over my yard -- I found one this weekend stashed on top of my grill's propane tank. When they are in their natural state they're typically larger than golf balls. Even when they're peeled and bagged in the supermarket they're far from half the size of ping pong ball (which would be, what, a standard marble?). More like ping-pong balls, actually. Is this some sort of dwarf walnut tree?
#3 - June 27, 2014, 06:54 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Are you thinking of unshelled walnuts?  In their shells, they are certainly the size of a ping-pong ball.
#4 - June 27, 2014, 07:09 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

So much for Googling, then! That's where I got the size of walnuts (that you'd buy in their shells in grocery stores) and ping-pong balls, etc.

There's no walnut tree in the story. Just walnuts in their shells. But no one knows they're walnuts yet.

I Googled the size of jawbreakers, but several sources listed them typically as twice the size of walnuts, too.

Gumball might work??? Too small??? I like the dandelion, too, but have to look up what that white, puffy is called...hmmm...but then kids might not know that. Kids might only really know dandelions, though, as that white, puffy thing!

If I used ping-pong ball, do kids still know what they are? I guess the size wouldn't have to be "so exact" since a kid's mind just needs the approximation...it's not like I'm using a basketball to deliver the concept of its size.

Thanks, Sheri and Madison.
#5 - June 27, 2014, 07:20 AM

Anne Marie...guess it's obvious I don't buy nuts in shells.

So ping-pong ball seems to be it...as long as kids still know what they are. (They must. It's not like we're talking about a defunct toy from ancient Greece.)
#6 - June 27, 2014, 07:28 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
What about a bottlecap or a pinky toe?

(Oh, in a shell. Carry on!)
#7 - June 27, 2014, 08:30 AM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
You could go with a description that is twice the size of X, or half the size of Y. "Twice the size of a green grape."
 :fireworks
#8 - June 27, 2014, 09:19 AM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Your nose, a quarter, a cat's paw, a cherry tomato, a dandelion
#9 - June 27, 2014, 09:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I have nothing useful to add, but it did make me laugh when I read this. I write a lot of health news for the over 60s and so 'walnut-sized' to me will forever be the size of a man's prostate gland. Ha ha ha.
#10 - June 27, 2014, 10:11 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
We have walnut trees and I was thinking the same thing--gumballs and marbles are way too small. Maybe a jawbreaker? Golf ball or ping pong ball works for me, too.
#11 - June 27, 2014, 10:35 AM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Yee-haw--thanks, everyone! You guys rule. Google, not-so-much.

Oh, yeah...and special thanks to Franzilla. It was one thing when my mind kept drifting to rum balls when writing a PB. Now walnuts have an entirely different visual for me. Yep. Thanks. I'll return the favor one day.... :muahaha:

Here's how that set of sentences read substituting prostate glands for ping-pong balls: One day walking around the park, I noticed pigeons pecking at small, hard balls on the sidewalk. Most balls were the size of prostate glands. And every ball looked wrinkled.

#12 - June 27, 2014, 12:08 PM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:15 PM by Arona »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Personally, I like cherry tomato. But what came to mind was--"the size of an eyeball."
#13 - June 27, 2014, 12:20 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Kids do love things that reference eyeballs! And using cherry tomato would mean I wouldn't have to use the word "ball" again as I would have to do with ping-pong ball. Hmmmm.
#14 - June 27, 2014, 12:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Here's how that set of sentences read substituting prostate glands for ping-pong balls: One day walking around the park, I noticed pigeons pecking at small, hard balls on the sidewalk. Most balls were the size of prostate glands. And every ball looked wrinkled.

Oh my goodness, I just snorted so hard my daughter asked me if I was okay. Just too, too funny.
#15 - June 27, 2014, 03:26 PM

:grin3
#16 - June 27, 2014, 03:38 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
How about a plum or an apricot? Same size and shape even.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#17 - June 28, 2014, 12:05 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Continued thanks to all!

Rue...I used to do rabbit rescue.  :bunny2
#18 - June 28, 2014, 12:35 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Arona, that's great! I have two rescued rabbits who appreciate all the hard work rescuers do. :bunnyrun

Rue
#19 - June 28, 2014, 08:44 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Quite often cookie recipes say to drop walnut-sized bits of dough onto the cookie sheet to bake. That's my best shot. Also, I've definitely seen a lot of walnuts bigger than 3/4 inch.
#20 - June 29, 2014, 06:10 PM

Members: