SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture book biography suggestions

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for outstanding/well-reviewed picture book biographies. They should preferably be newer-ish (no older than 2010). Longer books okay but would love to hear about shorter (under 1000 words) books especially.

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!!

:thanks2
#1 - July 02, 2014, 11:32 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I recently read ON A BEAM OF LIGHT: A STORY OF ALBERT EINSTEIN by Jennifer Berne and illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky. It has a lower word count. It's more of an overview of his life and addresses the way he thought. I thought the language and illustrations moved beautifully. It received great reviews as well.

#2 - July 02, 2014, 12:52 PM

LOOKING AT LINCOLN by Maira Kalman
THOMAS JEFFERSON: LIFE LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF EVERYTHING also by Maira Kalman
#3 - July 02, 2014, 01:22 PM

Poster Plus
Just this week I checked out two to inspire me to get cracking on my PB bio WIP. Both are fewer than 1,000 words, with one published in 2010 and the other in 2012. They're wonderful, to boot!!

A BOY CALLED DICKENS by Deborah Hopkinson, illustrated by John Hendrix

THE EXTRAORDINARY MARK TWAIN (ACCORDING TO SUSY) by Barbara Kerley, illustrated by Edwin Fotheringham
#4 - July 03, 2014, 08:13 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909 by Michelle Markel.  Pictures by Melissa Sweet. 2013 Balzer & Bray. 
#5 - July 03, 2014, 09:21 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I was excited when I read this request because I have read some outstanding biographies lately!

One is THE TREE LADY, by H. Joseph Hopkins and Jill McElmurry. It's about Kate Sessions a woman who changed San Diego forever, by having a passion for trees/plants and planting. It's wonderful. I read it to my six-year-old and she was so inspired, she started dancing around the room declaring she would turn our apartment into a jungle!

Another fabulous one, is ME... JANE. It's deceptively simply but oh-so-wonderful. It's about Jane Goodall, the chimpanzee researcher.

Oh, and MRS HARKNESS AND THE PANDA Alicia Potter, Melissa Sweet). Another one about a woman going against the odds, and animals. Beautiful and funny, touching, lovely.

I also love the two about Jacques Cousteau. There's MANFISH, illustrated by Eric Puybaret; and also THE FANTASTIC UNDERWATER LIFE OF JACQUES COUSTEAU, by Dan Yaccarino.

I hope you enjoy these. I adore them!
#6 - July 03, 2014, 09:47 AM
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:49 AM by Franzilla »

Mike Jung

I like JUST BEHAVE, PABLO PICASSO! by Jonah Winter and Kevin Hawkes.
#7 - July 03, 2014, 09:53 AM

Also one about Julia Child: MINETTE'S FEAST by Susanna Reich
#8 - July 03, 2014, 12:11 PM

J IS FOR JAZZ
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
  • SCBWI PAL
Can I suggest a book I co-authored with Maryann Macdonald, my dear sister?

LITTLE PIANO GIRL (Houghton Mifflin 2010) is the childhood story of Mary Lou Williams, the First Lady of Jazz. As far as I know, it is still the only picture book about Mary Lou Williams. It was a Crystal Kite finalist, something about which Maryann and I are quite proud. Give it a read and please let us know what you think.

Ann
#9 - July 03, 2014, 12:34 PM
LITTLE PIANO GIRL
ICE CREAM SOUP
DO-SI-DO-BOTS
BIGGETY BAT FINDS A FRIEND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Can I suggest a book I co-authored with Maryann Macdonald, my dear sister?

LITTLE PIANO GIRL (Houghton Mifflin 2010) is the childhood story of Mary Lou Williams, the First Lady of Jazz. As far as I know, it is still the only picture book about Mary Lou Williams. It was a Crystal Kite finalist, something about which Maryann and I are quite proud. Give it a read and please let us know what you think.

Ann

I'll just step in here to say, Yes, you can suggest your book. But only because it's also GREAT! Not surprised you're proud of it.
#10 - July 03, 2014, 07:28 PM

Dionna

You'll love this website, the nonfiction books reviewed, and the many biographies featured!

http://www.nonfictiondetectives.com/
#11 - July 04, 2014, 04:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
You'll love this website, the nonfiction books reviewed, and the many biographies featured!

http://www.nonfictiondetectives.com/

What a great site!
#12 - July 04, 2014, 07:04 AM

Dionna

It is, isn't it!
#13 - July 04, 2014, 08:06 AM

Poster Plus
Check out books by Ann Malaspina!

Touch the Sky

Heart On Fire
#14 - July 04, 2014, 02:19 PM

George Ferris: What a Wheel