SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for PBs with large casts of characters

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I have a PB WIP that features 7 named characters, each with some dialogue, and I'm hoping to find published picture books that also feature a big cast. I would exclude those with litters/clutches such as Make Way for Ducklings, because the ducklings are really one conglomerate character. I'm writing a science fiction caper and having the large cast feels like a better team than just 2 or 3 characters, but I'd like to see how introducing them all without overloading the reader has been done.
#1 - July 22, 2014, 11:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
The two Dunderhead books by Paul Fleischman w/illustrations by David Roberts. It is a heist sort of book and each kid is introduced as they are recruited on the team for a specific talent.

Good luck!
#2 - July 22, 2014, 12:35 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

You caught my interest when you said books with a large cast. I look forward to seeing updates to this. (My tendency for that has become less so, but still a good question.)
#3 - July 22, 2014, 04:47 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

This is a good PB question, especially with the subject matter.
#4 - July 22, 2014, 04:59 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Allburg has about ten characters - all named and important - but they are fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters, so they are already familiar.
#5 - July 22, 2014, 06:47 PM

Poster Plus
Haven't counted them, but I've got a large ensemble cast in THE GRUDGE KEEPER and THE BUSIEST STREET IN TOWN. Also CHIK CHAK SHABBAT, which comes out in September.
#6 - July 22, 2014, 07:31 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

My picture book series These Things Count! published by Albert Whitman (4 books) features a large group of named kids (five who speak) and two adults (both speak) in each story, as well as "talking" trees, bees, seas, and rocks.
#7 - July 22, 2014, 08:58 PM
THESE THINGS COUNT! award-winning nature series Albert Whitman
TWIGS (YA)  Merit Press
www.alisonashleyformento.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Nancy Tufari's wordless picture book "Where is my duckling?" comes to my mind.
#8 - July 22, 2014, 09:16 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Thanks! I'll check those out.
#9 - July 23, 2014, 03:54 AM

I honestly can't think of anything, or at least my mind keeps 'short-circuiting' to Magic School Bus. (But I don't know if that's necessarily a PB)

I'm kinda wondering how many words your manuscript would be? More character and dialogue, I'd expect, would make a longer book and maybe more difficult to 'fit' into a picture book.
#10 - July 26, 2014, 11:59 PM

Members: