SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture book dummies

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
The manuscript I've been working on is almost ready to submit to publishers.  I'm having trouble getting started on the dummy.  I've done storyboards & thumbnails but I think I might be overwhelmed.  Any tips for staying focused & getting it done in a timely manner?
I think I may need to prrint my reference photos so they are more accessible. 
#1 - July 24, 2014, 06:25 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I'd work on character sheets next. Get to know your character so you can draw and paint him/her/it from all angles.

I set a schedule for tight pencils so I have a deadline for every spread, and then I do my sample color spreads and work out a possible cover. All with reasonable deadlines for each step.
#2 - July 24, 2014, 12:43 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Great question. I am just about to start a pb dummy and just need to begin working. Starting with the character sketches sounds like a good idea. :paint
#3 - July 25, 2014, 03:09 PM

Well, it took me 3 years to take my PB from an idea to a dummy, so I don't think I'm much help :D

One thing I would say is, try having set goals. I used to like going for runs and, while jogging, I would think 'okay, I need to get page x compiled before I do anything else.' This at least gave me a way of refocusing and staying on task.

Good luck
#4 - July 29, 2014, 08:55 PM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
For me . . . I work differently. I usually start drawing a piece with visuals I feel are strong and that I've worked out to the fine details in my head. Most of the time it's a piece that's in the latter part of the story. That's where the text has come to a crescendo and I put in elements/characters that may not necessarily be in the text. While I'm drawing, my mind is working out the text/pacing and illustrations for other parts of the story. I work out bringing some of the elements I've placed in the image into the earlier parts of the story/text. Instead of thumbnails, I put numbers on the manuscript corresponding to the page spreads and sometimes write ideas down. It may not be what the textbooks say to do, but it's how I typically work as those first images I draw really get me in tune to the characters, so much so, that most of the time, I can't resist bringing the first one or two to completion with color. I've often done full color character studies, but putting them into the heart of the story in action and color really feeds my creativity for getting the rest of the story drawn out.
#5 - July 30, 2014, 05:57 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I know that feeling.
Prototype right away! Take what you have now and print it out really small to create a mockup book dummy. This helps you visualize the final result you want, and gets you back on track. Once you do this, you'll realize what you need to do next.
#6 - August 05, 2014, 10:52 AM
www.benlinalexander.com
benlinalexander@gmail.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks!  So far I've completed one sample full colour 2 page spread.  Finally have the cover design in my head & ready to draw.  The biggest issue seems to be getting my reference photos in front of me.  They are currently on my camera.  I've done lots of character sketches, thumbnails, etc.  i think I need to set goals for page by page completion & get those reference photos easier to access. 
#7 - August 05, 2014, 01:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I just upload my photos to my computer and work from them there. If you really need them printed, & you don't have a printer, you can take your camera's sd card straight to a FedEx Office, or Staples, etc.
#8 - August 05, 2014, 03:32 PM
www.benlinalexander.com
benlinalexander@gmail.com

If you can, transfer your photos to your desktop/laptop. You can either reference them from there (use a side table from where you work) or--if you have one--use a tablet so you can browse references nearby, no matter where you go.

The setup we're working on for my hubby, we have his drafting table, then a table to the left which has his tablet on it. On the tablet is a Pintrest account and various galleries worth of reference photos which he can quickly browse without breaking much of his concentration.

You could also print out your photos and either use a cork board or pin them to the wall in front of you. That way, whenever you look up, your references are there.
#9 - August 05, 2014, 06:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sounds so simple right?  Haven't figured out a quick easy way to transfer pics from my camera to the iPad.  When I try to use the iPad the kids want it & if hubby is home he's on the desktop.  He's suggesting putting pics on the "cloud." I'm looking forward to September when I'll have some free time alone at home. 
#10 - August 09, 2014, 12:31 PM

Members: