SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Favourite loose illustrators?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I mean loose in terms of style, obviously! Someone was asking whether loose was suitable for a picture book and so I was trying to remember great loose-style illustrators. Catherine Rayner, Sandra Boynton, Quentin Blake, Peter H Reynolds, Oliver Jeffers... Any others?
#1 - July 25, 2014, 08:13 PM

Ooh, my favorite kinds of illustrations! Quentin Blake was the first to come to my mind, as well, but I also love Wallace Tripp, Lynn Munsinger, and then there's Chris Raschka, who to my mind is about as loose as you can get without crossing into totally abstract.
#2 - July 26, 2014, 01:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ooh I don't know those. Will check them out. I just thought of another - Jill Barton. Although not all her stuff is loose. PIG IN THE POND, one of my favourite books, is, but others of hers aren't, although still lovely. And Anita Jeram, who illustrated GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU?

More, more, more!
#3 - July 26, 2014, 01:39 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Betsy Lewin (Click, Clack, Moo) has a loose style. Once heard her speak and she said that book was where her style got really loose.
#4 - July 28, 2014, 08:34 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Sue Truesdell and Jose Aruego!
#5 - July 29, 2014, 06:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Brilliant. These are great! Can't believe I forgot about Betsy Lewin. Interesting that that book was when she got loose.

Totally buying HOW TO TALK TO YOUR DOG, illustrated by Sue Truesdale... I get to look at some lovely loose illustrations while teaching myself and my kids about the dog we'll be getting in September. Yay!
#6 - July 29, 2014, 09:20 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I'm a huge fan of William Steig.  He's super loose, wrote and illustrated the book Shrek! which the movie is based from.
#7 - August 13, 2014, 05:26 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Oh, I agree with all those names, love the growing list. And I would add these illustrators:

Emily Gravett (Wolves)
Janet Stevens (Epossumondas)
Timothy Basil Ering (The Story of Frog Belly Rat Bone)
Pierre Pratt (Skunkdog) - a painterly loose style.
#8 - September 10, 2014, 01:15 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Siski, 

The dog on his back is just so perfect. You capture the spirit of every happy dog in that illustration. Lovely.

dan
#9 - October 03, 2014, 04:13 PM

Members: