script writing software

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good script writing software? Anyone tried DubScript? It's free, but I am not sure if I should use it. Also, which format (file type) is best to save a script in terms of compatability on various devices?
Thanks!
#1 - August 03, 2014, 02:24 PM
Ten Sheep to Sleep - Now on Amazon

Facebook: /nidhi.kamra.75
facebook.com/nidhikamra1111
@NidhiKamra

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I'm not a script writer, but I've been using Scrivener for novels and PBs ($40, but has a free trial that let's you export your work so if you decided not to buy you don't lose anything) and it has a format for script writing. I know there are others but I haven't tried them. If you try Scrivener I recommend doing the tutorial that comes with it.

I don't know about file extensions for scripts, but Scrivener lets you compile into many file types, including word files and PDFs.
#2 - August 03, 2014, 02:39 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Artemesia. I have been thinking about it but wasn't sure if I should invest in it or free ones are equally good.
#3 - August 03, 2014, 03:13 PM

@NidhiKamra

In my experience, Final Draft is the industry standard.

That being said, Movie Magic is what we use in my current staff job. 

:)
#4 - August 03, 2014, 10:18 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Jen.
#5 - August 04, 2014, 09:27 AM

@NidhiKamra

Yes, thanks for that tip, Jen! Good to know what industry folks use. Good reference! ;)

Kelli
#6 - September 15, 2014, 12:09 PM
KelliKM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I downloaded Celtx on my Android tablet for now. It looks decent. And it can save as PDF as well. I'm hoping it works out for me during my initial screenwriting endeavors.  :angst:
#7 - September 16, 2014, 05:03 PM

@NidhiKamra

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Nidhi, Celtx and I didn't get along. I blame myself.  :lol4 I love adobe story.
#8 - September 16, 2014, 05:15 PM
Top 50 finalist, The Launch Pad Manuscript Competition, https://www.tblaunchpad.com/contests/6

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, what caused the break-up, Hilary?
Is Adobe Story free? How easy is it to just move from celtx to this? Copy/paste?
#9 - September 16, 2014, 05:22 PM

@NidhiKamra

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
It's free, https://story.adobe.com/en-us/index.html#o Use the film template, not the TV. TV is odd, or it was designed for real TV writers like Jen.  :snork:

How easy to move a celtx doc? Super hard to impossible would be my guess.

I can't remember exactly what caused me to ditch it, Nidhi. Then again, I'm not a Scrivener fan either so it really probably is me.  :grin3
#10 - September 16, 2014, 06:14 PM
Top 50 finalist, The Launch Pad Manuscript Competition, https://www.tblaunchpad.com/contests/6

Nidhi, I'm using Celtx too. I haven't had much problems with it so far, although I did have to research what the script elements mean (all Greek to me!). I might check out Adobe too, thanks to Hilary's suggestion... and because it's free. I'll keep you posted!
#11 - September 17, 2014, 01:57 PM
KelliKM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hi, I use Final Draft, Its a great piece of software, I've worked with it for about ten years. I think Version 8 is the latest, you buy once and its updated from then on.
Its formatted for TV, Film, Series, serial, radio play etc.
i think its the most stable software for screenwriting.

#12 - September 17, 2014, 02:20 PM

I use Final Draft. The iPad app is super cheap (compared to the desktop version). Love it, love it, love it! :love5:
#13 - September 25, 2014, 08:04 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
  • SCBWI Regional Moderator
All of my scriptwriting friends love Final Draft.
I found using Scrivner for script writing (US Stage Play) much easier than trying to do the first draft in word (and also much easier than using scrivner for novels / other projects)
#14 - September 27, 2014, 11:58 AM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Hi all! Question: for the various versions of script-ware mentioned, are your scripts saved as a PDF or docx. type file? I used Celtx and am now having to research PDF conversion programs since it only saves scripts as PDF. Unless, I rewrite my script into another program.  :gaah

Hilary, does Adobe save scripts as a docx type or PDF file??

Nidhi, don't know if you're at the end of your 15-day free trial with Celtx, but if you choose not to purchase the program (I didn't since I want to try Adobe), you can still use Celtx for the scripts you already created and can still modify it, download it, etc. Not sure if it'll let you create new stuff though (haven't tried it yet).

Thanks!
#15 - September 29, 2014, 03:55 PM
KelliKM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
You know, Kelli...now that you mention it, I think that was another reason I abandoned Celtx. I always saved my Adobe scripts as PDF, and of course, as it is Adobe the conversion was flawless. I don't think I ever tried to save as an RTF or docx.

Also, I am fairly certain you will not be able to convert a Celtx doc to and Adobe Story doc. I really wish I had better news.  :hiding3

But...but...but...does this mean you're close Kelli???  :superwoman :hairdude :crossedfingers
#16 - September 29, 2014, 04:30 PM

Yes, Hilary!  :grin3
I'm close to submitting. The thing that is holding me up is...the dreaded Logline! Ugh! I think I did all I can for the the script (I hope!) but I'm still finalizing the details of my mini bible. I must say, learning script writing was a bit of a challenge but it was so fun too! I loved re-imagining my kiddie story as a tv episode and really enjoyed 'writing' the story again. Oh, my other problem is that I wrote 6 stories (which is perfect since I can use all of them as individual episodes since they're all the same theme/characters) but picking one of them as the pilot has been tough. If you'd like to offer your new 'expertise' I can email you what I've got. No pressure, no expectations!!

THanks for your enthusiasm, Hilary! You truly were the inspiration for me to do this!  :love5:
#17 - September 29, 2014, 04:44 PM
KelliKM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :lol4, not sure what kind of "expertise" I have as I've been rejected by AS twice,  :poop :poop :grin3 but I'd be happy to help! PMing you...
#18 - September 29, 2014, 05:31 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ha, ha, Hilary, hold those horses of yours. Since you are being so generous by looking at Kelli's, I may just send you mine as well, when it is done. :muahaha:
But don't stress yourself out, it's not done yet.  :pp

I have Celtx as an app on my Android... it's the free version, and it seems to be working out fine for me so far.
#19 - October 03, 2014, 07:46 AM

@NidhiKamra

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
This week has been  :crazy and I haven't even had a chance to look at Kelli's yet!  :hiding This weekend, I promise! And the offer is open to you too, Nidhi! GO, BBOARDERS!!! :horse  :goldstar
#20 - October 03, 2014, 08:07 AM

Final Draft or MMS.  Most everyone takes PDF files, the hard copy has gone way of the dodo bird. 
#21 - October 03, 2014, 02:26 PM

No problem on the  :crazy schedule, Hilary! I can relate  :bewildered:

Yay, Nidhi!  :goodluck working on your submission!

I went to a SCBWI Hawaii chapter critique session today  :yup and have some tweaking to do on mine (along with crafting the dreaded log line for the mini bible)   :typing

#22 - October 04, 2014, 05:16 PM
KelliKM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Soooo, I selected the PDF tab on Celtx and I see Celtex converts it to PDF, but it leaves MORE and parentheticals at the end of the page. One of the books I read mentions MORE cannot be left hanging mid-sentence at the end of the page. It does the same with parentheticals. Now, I cannot edit the PDF within Celtx. Ouch. Has anyone found any workaround to this issue? I'm wondering if I should switch to Adobe as well. Sad, I have a first draft and am not looking forward to conversion hell.
#23 - October 24, 2014, 06:36 AM

@NidhiKamra

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Wow, Adobe is all on the cloud. It is really slooowwww. It stalled on creating a new script, saying it was loading, and then when I finally manaaged, I was unable to edit as it would not take character input. But it eventually let me type. Now it's acting weird again. Perhaps I'm just having a bad day...
#24 - October 24, 2014, 07:44 AM

@NidhiKamra

Members: