SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Posting Illustrations for Hopeful Book

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have some illustrations I have done that I hope someday could be in a published book.  Should I refrain from adding them to my gallery on scbwi?
#1 - August 05, 2014, 05:51 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
If they are representative of your best work I would include at least some of them. I thinking posting even 3-5 images isn't so much of the whole (if we are talking picture books, if not maybe you could expand?) that you couldn't use them as portfolio pieces. Stuff tends to change after acquisition anyway.

#2 - August 05, 2014, 08:50 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Are these illustrations for a specific book? Or just some that you've worked up in a theme? Are they for a book dummy you're marketing?

From my experience, most ADs want something specific when hiring an illustrator. The only time I have ever sold a piece previously completed without any changes, was to a magazine, it fit the theme of an upcoming issue, and they saw it on my web site.

I do have samples of art on my website that are part of book dummies I hope to have published. What Artemesia said is true, once a publisher acquires a property there are usually changes, even to completed art.
#3 - August 06, 2014, 05:54 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The images are part of a book I have made for my daughter.  So basically, I am completing it for her and have thought about shopping it around after (so really it's a book dummy). 

What you mentioned about publishers making changes once they own the property makes sense so I will post a few.

Thanks for the feedback! 
#4 - August 06, 2014, 07:46 AM

Members: