SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How long to wait before sending SQ?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
 :bighelp   I submitted a poem to U.S. Kids back in February (it was actually a re-submit of an original sent in October 2013 that was apparently lost.  In May, I sent a status query and was told that the piece was still under consideration and that if they find they want to use it in the future they'll let me know. 

I've heard of people waiting years to see a contracted magazine piece published, but never have I heard of waiting indefinitely for a magazine to decide if they even want to contract a piece.

Is it acceptable for me to check in every 3 months or so?  When does there come a point that I should just pull it from consideration and move on?

Thanks for any feedback!
Amy
#1 - August 14, 2014, 10:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I would definitely submit it elsewhere. They didn't say whether it was a 'no response means no' situation? Regardless they can't expect you not to submit it elsewhere while you wait indefinitely. Emails and letters do get lost although more often than not lack of response simply means No, thanks. I'd check in one more time and then move on.
#2 - August 14, 2014, 12:22 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Thanks for the feedback Franzilla.  Nope, they didn't say no response means no - just that they were still considering it.  I'm going to wait it out a few more months and see how I feel at the end of the year.  I was just reading an earlier thread on here about Humpty Dumpty and Turtle mags, and extended waits and resubs seem par for the course right now as there seems to be lots of changes happening there.

The up-side is that Catherine Greis, the new managing ed of HD has been really gracious and responsive to my previous two inquiries - which is also why I don't want to be a pest. 

Hopefully, I'll have some good news soon.

#3 - August 15, 2014, 04:40 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
 When you say "if they find they want to use it in the future they'll let me know"  I'm taking that to mean they'll only respond if they want to use it.  If they find they don't want to use it are they going to let you know?  I'm with Franzilla, give it one more try with them and then sub it elsewhere.  Good luck!
#4 - August 16, 2014, 09:41 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Surely they don't require an exclusive sub on a poem. Get that baby out there to more than one place! If you get a response from someone else that they are interested, then you can go back to US Kids and tell them you have interest and was wondering if they had decided, that of course, only if you prefer US kids to the other interested party. Good luck!
#5 - August 16, 2014, 11:05 AM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You do want to be careful with simultaneous subs to magazines. It doesn't happen often and it doesn't happen with most magazines, but I've had the experience (and I know some other people have also) of having a submission published without the editors informing me of the acceptance. It's unlikely to be a problem, but if you've submitted to multiple magazines, the potential for problems does exist.

So if you should choose to follow advice given here and submit elsewhere, be sure to say it's a simultaneous sub.
#6 - August 18, 2014, 02:06 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Not sure I understand Ev. How is it that a magazine can publish without getting a contract signed first? I didn't know that was possible, or legal for that matter.
#7 - August 18, 2014, 05:19 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm not sure of the legalities, TMarie, because I'm not a lawyer. But I guess the assumption is that if you submit to them, that's a way of saying you're okay with their publishing your piece. Oodles of online magazines don't use contracts.  (I don't use contracts for my Writing for Children's Magazines ezine.  I do, of course, always check with the authors before I publish.) My understanding is that, if there's no contract, then the publisher only has first rights (or one-time reprint rights, if first rights are already taken).

The magazine I had my experience with was one that was listed in Magazine Markets for Children's Writers. It was a perfectly legitimate publisher and they paid me for my piece. I was happy for the publication, but just a bit shocked since it had been quite a while since I'd submitted the poem, I was assuming they didn't want it, and I was getting ready to sub it to an anthology.
#8 - August 19, 2014, 05:29 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Amazing. I learn something new everyday on these boards! Thanks, Ev, for clearing that up. At what point did you know it was published? Did they send you a contributor copy? It's good you found out about it before submitting elsewhere.   
#9 - August 19, 2014, 06:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
They sent me a contributor copy, my check, and a congratulations-for-being-published-with-us letter all in the same envelope.  :yup
#10 - August 19, 2014, 12:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
OMG, Ev! Expect the unexpected! This is good to know. 
#11 - August 19, 2014, 02:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I SQ'ed USKids about a submission I sent in Jan and the editor replied back with a very nice note of explanation.  They've experienced quite a few changes lately in the office and have a backlog of submissions that they've been working through with a smaller staff.  They are selecting pieces for upcoming issues this month (Aug), so will likely be able to provide status updates very soon.  The editor did mention that if you are planning to submit elsewhere that you inform them.
#12 - August 28, 2014, 10:38 AM
Twitter: @CLMwriter
Facebook Page : @CarolMackayAuthor

Members: