SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

NYT: Lev Grossman on writing fantasy

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Thank you for sharing, Marissa. Seems Mr. Grossman is finally writing what he himself likes to read. Good advice for us all.  :muscles
#2 - August 19, 2014, 01:34 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I like this line from it: "Fantasy is sometimes dismissed as childish, or escapist, but I take what I am doing very, very seriously. For me fantasy isn?t about escaping from reality, it?s about re-encountering the challenges of the real world, but externalized and transformed."

Children's books (whether fantasy or not) are often dismissed like this, too--but they also have a way of looking at profound truths through a different lens. They hit the core of humanness we all share. I'm glad he found the right language to write in for him.
#3 - August 19, 2014, 02:07 PM

Great article. I totally agree that SFF lets you explore reality more closely than realistic fiction does, because it gives the reader a fresh perspective. Also love The Magicians. Thanks for sharing the link, Marissa!
#4 - August 19, 2014, 02:29 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

I agree with olmue and Whizbee. I think fantasy is such a great way of exploring humanity and understanding our selves and our world. One of my favorite books is The Left Hand of Darkness by Le Guin and I just love how it explores and reflects on gender and humanity.

This is a great article, thanks for sharing!  :love5:
#5 - August 20, 2014, 02:49 AM

This is exactly how I feel about writing fantasy. Thanks for sharing!
#6 - August 20, 2014, 09:30 AM

Great article. Thanks for sharing.  :chesirecat
#7 - August 20, 2014, 09:44 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I loved this article and was actually going to quote the same lines Olmue did but she beat me to it. (grin)

It annoys me no end when people discount fiction in favor of non-fiction and fantasy in favor of non-fantasy. Please understand I am not discounting non-fiction or any genre. I just really enjoyed reading this article.

Laurel
#8 - August 20, 2014, 10:18 AM

New!
Well written fantasy, is a free writing experience. I'd like to not be censored for "content" by a company that has some scenes that some viewers may have questions about.

Not that science fiction is exactly immune.
#9 - August 20, 2014, 12:28 PM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:34 PM by SarahW »
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Members: