SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help me with Comparable Titles!

Discussion started on

Good news! My MG novel "The Woodsman," was selected to be mentored in Pitch Wars. However, my mentor thinks the title is kind of boring. So my job is to find seven comparable novels and study their title structure and copy it with my book to see what we come up with. (Does that make sense?)

I'm having a hard time finding enough comparable stories. The best way to explain THE WOODSMAN is Percy Jackson but with fairy tales. It's a mash-up of modern-day, retold fairy tales from a male MC.

So here's my list so far,

The Sister's Grimm: Fairytale Detectives
Breadcrumbs
A Tale Dark and Grimm
Fablehaven
Ella Enchanted
Cinder
Beastly

My problem with the last three is they are retellings, but just single retellings (not a mashup) and I don't feel like that really captures my book (and there's a ton of retellings so if that's my only qualification this list could go on forever).

Has anyone here read something I haven't and can add anything? I'd really love a few more titles with a male MC.
#1 - September 20, 2014, 01:56 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Shannon Hale's Books of Bayern came to mind (GOOSE GIRL, ENNA BURNING, FOREST BORN, and RIVER SECRETS).

BIRDWING by Rafe Martin. Based on the Grimm fairy tale THE SIX SWANS.

#2 - September 20, 2014, 04:34 PM

There's our own Anna Staniszewski's My Very Un-Fairy Tale Life, though that doesn't draw so much on specific tales, as I remember. I'm also a huge fan of Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst, which has lots of various fairy tale characters breaking into the real world.
#3 - September 20, 2014, 04:34 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Oh also -- you know the show ONCE UPON A TIME? You might want to look at the various episode titles.
#4 - September 20, 2014, 04:36 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
FAIRY TALES FOR WILDE GIRLS by Allyse Near. This one is a mash-up of modern-day, retold fairy tales from a female MC.
#5 - September 20, 2014, 05:28 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I don't have a suggestion - but I just wanted to comment that I like "The Woodsman." Simple titles are better to me. But that's just me.
#6 - September 26, 2014, 06:31 AM
The Messengers - Dawn of Shadows (Searching for rep)
blog: josephlstovall.blogspot.com
twitter: @jlstovall4

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
There's the musical Into the Woods, too. ;) Also, the author of Beastly has done others, so maybe look at all of her titles.

Congrats on getting into Pitch Wars! :)
#7 - September 26, 2014, 06:56 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom
Of Giants and Ice
Half Upon a Time
A Tale Dark and Grimm
#8 - September 26, 2014, 10:27 PM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Members: