SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What mysteries are you working on?

Discussion started on

I just outlined a YA historical mystery with paranormal elements novella (catch all that?). It's set in 1955. I wrote a 2k words synopsis so I think I might be able to draft this pretty quick.

I'm also writing a YA SciFi short story mystery and trying my hand at an unreliable narrator. This one has major plot holes.

What are you all working on?
#1 - September 27, 2014, 07:01 PM
www.kimberlyggiarratano.com
Author of YA novel, Grunge Gods and Graveyards (Red Adept Publishing, 2014)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I'm trying to muster the courage to finish plotting an adult contemporary mystery and start writing. Since I mostly write PBs and middle school nonfiction, the word count is daunting.
#2 - September 29, 2014, 06:29 AM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm working on a series of linked novellas/short mini-mysteries (depending on length--they'll vary) which also includes a larger overarching mystery and love story--these are adult historical with paranormal elements.  I'm still working on the first one, which will of course be longer as the large cast of characters is being introduced, but the second one is beginning to nudge at me (always a good sign.)  It's going to be an interesting exercise, writing the smaller plots but making sure the larger plots slowly get developed at the same time.

And I just picked up How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries by Kathy Lynn Emerson, which looks like it's going to be useful.
#3 - September 29, 2014, 07:48 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm trying to get back into writing after two years (or more) of feeling mentally blocked (partly from life issues, partly my brain panicking upon fully realizing just how little I really knew about writing as a career, lol. It all seems so fun and "easy" in the beginning...), but am stressing over just where to begin.  :bangbreak

I have a group of characters that I've been longing to write about through all these years, but the exact mystery to start them with is giving me some trouble. I have two or three really strong contenders. The one I really want to do first for many reasons, and that I keep coming back to whenever I try to do something else, is starting to feel like something I'm trying too hard to make happen. It's based on a real life mystery, and is personally interesting to me and even my characters but if I am honest about it, I would have to say it really doesn't seem like it would fit in with the rest of my ideas for the (hoped for) series. One of the writing books I've been reading challenges writers to answer the question "Why should I care?" when thinking about story ideas, and I finally did that with this idea and just don't have a good reason. I do for my other ideas, so I think pursuing those would be smarter. But it's hard to let this one go, even though I know it's best and I am very excited about the other ideas, too.

I'm planning on the book being a MG mystery, heavily influenced by all the wonderful things I love from the mystery writers of the 30s/ 40s. That's how the story is in my head, anyway. My previous attempts at writing it out that way have not *quite* reached that goal...  :aah
#4 - October 01, 2014, 12:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I'm writing the 2nd book in a mystery midgrade series for Albert Whitman about cats, secrets and spying. First book is close to galley stage.
#5 - October 01, 2014, 07:12 AM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm writing an upper MG about a supposedly haunted high school and am just about ready to start submitting.
#6 - October 01, 2014, 10:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am 'trying' to write a mystery chapter book...key word trying. I too, am a PB author and I tend to try to wrap things up at around 500 words note to self slow down and stop that! :)
#7 - October 01, 2014, 11:27 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm not working on any mysteries, but Linda Joy, I'm a sucker for cat stories ... so I will wait for your book.
Now you all can boot me out of here ...
Vijaya
#8 - October 01, 2014, 11:31 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

I read How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries too and loved it. I also love how the novella is coming back. My novella is straight plot with one little subplot. A lot less to untangle than a full novel.
#9 - October 03, 2014, 12:44 PM
www.kimberlyggiarratano.com
Author of YA novel, Grunge Gods and Graveyards (Red Adept Publishing, 2014)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've never read How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries. I'll put it on my list. I just hope I don't find out I've done everything wrong.  :goldstar
#10 - October 03, 2014, 07:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I have a MG mystery being shopped at the moment.  :eyeballs:
#11 - October 04, 2014, 01:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Go, Anita. I love, love mysteries and I think kids do, too.
#12 - October 05, 2014, 08:35 AM

Members: