SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Christmas Cards

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Does anyone illustrate their own Christmas/Holiday cards?  I painted mine today.  Much easier than getting the perfect family photo!  These are for personal use, but I am tempted to use it as a mailer. 
#1 - October 06, 2014, 05:45 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
That's wonderful. I don't have that talent, but it's so special to receive a card illustrated by someone personally. I received a book with some lovely art on the envelope and I was thrilled.
#2 - October 06, 2014, 07:21 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
[/fo[I size=12pt][/size]nt]
Marla, I make all my own Christmas cards! I make ALL the cards I send out. I love working with paper! In fact, instead of using paint to illustrate my children's picture book, I used cardstock! Every eyebrow, every eyelash even in my illustrations is paper. I had so much fun creating my illustrations.
Back to cards, I love card-making. There are tons of websites and blogs that offer challenges and free patterns and tutorials to make cards. I've won a lot of the challenges. YOu can see my work on my blog at www.cottagebelow.com.
I bet your painted cards are beautiful and they will be so meaningful to the people who receive them. It would be nice to see your work. Do you have a blog?
#3 - October 06, 2014, 08:28 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Pamela, I do have a website - www.marlalesage.com  I don't plan to put up my card quite yet though. I checked out your cards - they are lovely - you must be very patient.  I plan to have my painting printed onto a greeting card or postcard.  It is my family decorating a gingerbread house.
#4 - October 07, 2014, 06:09 AM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Pamela, your cards are absolutely lovely!

Marla, I make Christmas cards. There was a year or so that I bought cards, but the people who got used to receiving the ones I painted and then had printed requested that I do it again. I try to make them "holiday" cards, but this year's is actually a Christmas Card. I'm not sure about using them as mailers. I do mail a few out directly to editors and art directors I've worked with or been mentored by. As they cost a bit more to produce than postcards and the postage is more, I haven't considered them for a promotional mailer.

Please let us know when you post them or share them here. :moose I love to look at the holiday images illustrators come up with.
#5 - October 07, 2014, 06:14 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

I make mine and I also do hand painted OOAK ones that I sell online and at markets sometimes. I love making Christmas cards! :D
#6 - October 24, 2014, 03:09 PM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
My avatar is a crop of the full Christmas Card image, which I finished today.

I thought I'd share it on my blog:  http://brainrainblog.com/2014/10/25/christmas-card-is-finished/

I'd love to see everyone's.
#7 - October 25, 2014, 04:35 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I was so gung-ho about my xmas card, but now that I'm ready to order the prints I'm not so sure.  I've redrawn all the faces in an effort to get a better likeness.  I'm happy with my own face & my daughter's isn't bad.  But I don't think I've done my hubby & son justice.  I'm going to try to avoid redoing the whole thing.  We'll see.  Time is running out. :-\
#8 - November 04, 2014, 10:02 AM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Sweet. I love how you've got the decorative frosting coming out. I would never attempt painting my family. My husband would like himself portrayed as Tom Selleck or something. It wouldn't work out for me.  :moose :moose Very sweet image.
#9 - November 05, 2014, 06:16 AM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Members: