SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

self-promo postcards

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I just sent out a handful of postcards to test the waters.  I have a few left, a places to send them, but - if the publisher asks for samples and a C.V., would you package them together in an envelope?  I'm a newbie so I don't have much to put on my CV.  My postcard refers to my online portfolio. 
#1 - October 28, 2014, 09:26 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
yes.
#2 - October 28, 2014, 02:22 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I would say yes as well. However, from my experience I haven't received a request for more samples since I have online portfolio links. I'm curious if anyone else has? I either hear nothing or get an email for a job. And speaking of promos,  I have a stack of postcards that need to go out as well. Good luck!
#3 - October 29, 2014, 09:14 AM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I got a request from an edu pub after a postcard mailing, that requested more samples and a CV. But that was the only one.
#4 - October 29, 2014, 11:19 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I got an email questioning my availability. Then a request for three specific samples. Then a request of how I saw the main character (they sent me the manuscript after the three samples were sent).  But they were already considering me for a  manuscript. My mailer and web address to my online portfolio were the initial reasons they contacted me.
I have not heard of requests for more samples without a contracted manuscript in mind . . . maybe something more specific to educational publishers after seeing Wendy's reply.
#5 - October 29, 2014, 08:00 PM
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:04 PM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
It seems like most publishers have writers guidelines on their websites even if not accepting unsolicited submissions.  Any tips for finding out about illustrators guidelines? Or where to send a postcard vs email?  Other than The Book?
#6 - October 30, 2014, 07:16 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Members: