SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Small studio space solutions.

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Help!
I need quick, easy, cheap solutions for storing/organizing a non-existant art studio.  Right now my supplies & works are in random piles around the house. 
I had a painting done & hung on it on a clip on the wall.  I had planned on taking it to a local gallery to try to sell.  And my 3 yr old scribbled on it. :cry2
Not a huge deal because it was a very small & quick one.  And I knew better than to leave it there.  But still.

Usually I do my art at the kitchen island or table (on a board to avoid the inevitable spills and splashes).  I would love to have a dedicated space, but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

I do have a children's table next to the kitchen that could be replaced by an adult sized desk...
I'd love to see your set-ups or hear any tips/solutions that might be of help.
#1 - October 30, 2014, 11:47 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I have my own office/studio space now, but in our old place I took over the part of the kitchen where the table usually goes (we had just enough space in the living room to divide the space and have the table there), and I closed the kitchen off with baby gates (got the kind that swings open like a door). I also had little ones with scribble problems. I had a stainless steel free standing counter from IKEA, and turned it into an art table. I used an old microwave cart on casters to store all the paint supplies, and it rolled away underneath the counter when not in use. I also had a computer desk on the other wall...super small space, but it worked.
#2 - October 30, 2014, 11:54 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
When I was an apartment dweller, before I needed a computer and all the assorted stuffs that go along with it, I had a roll top desk for my art in progress and supplies. When I wasn't actively working on a piece it was in the closed desk. I didn't have toddlers, only unruly cats who liked to play with pens, paints and sit on wet WIPs, leaving butt prints and hair.
#3 - October 30, 2014, 06:04 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Do you have a spare coat closet that you can clean out? A shallow desk and shelves will fit in most closets. You can organize your supplies on the shelves, hang a note board on the wall above the desk, put a light in there and when you are not working close the doors to keep little hands out.  I worked for almost entire year out of a closet.  There are a lot of good ideas on Pinterest to help maximize the space.
#4 - November 02, 2014, 02:34 PM
What is your dream, how are you chasing it?
Kat Ford

www.corpirate.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I didn't have toddlers, only unruly cats who liked to play with pens, paints and sit on wet WIPs, leaving butt prints and hair.

:lol4 :lol4

corpirate, that's a cool idea!!
#5 - November 02, 2014, 03:09 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
It's a great idea & it did cross my mind, but we only have one miniscule coat closet. I do have a rather messy kid stable in the kitchen - I'm going to replace it with something suitable for storing my WIP & supplies. I'm not having much luck finding a desk on kijiji so I'm thinking of the Tarva dresser from ikea.  The top is perfect height for stand up desk or use with tall stool.  I'll probably build a small hutch for the top.
#6 - November 03, 2014, 03:56 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

You could also build your own desk.  Using a set of cabinets on either side with a board on top would give you more space to store supplies.  You could also build a fold down desk that is attached to a shallow cabinet space on the wall, that way you wouldn't lose any floor space.  There are great ideas for both on Pinterest if you search "art desk".
#7 - November 03, 2014, 07:53 AM
What is your dream, how are you chasing it?
Kat Ford

www.corpirate.com

Members: