Are You Getting Notifications?

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
There was a glitch in the notifications system that occurred when AOL changed their email procedures last April. SCBWI's computer guru has tracked down the problem and we believe it is now fixed.  But... you might find you are now SWAMPED with notifications from the Blueboard! If this is happening to you, it's a simple thing to turn off Notifications that you do not want to get. Follow these instructions:

1) Go to Profile>Modify Profile>Notifications. 

2) Uncheck the box that says Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.

3) If you wish to receive notifications via your email program, click the box that says: When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email, (etc.).

4) Choose when you wish to be notified.

5) Choose what kinds of posts you wish to be notified about.

NOTE:  Double check the above settings each time you make any changes on this page BEFORE you click SAVE SETTINGS.

Under these areas you should see a list of all the Current Topic Notifications you are recieving. (I had eleven PAGES of them!)

6) Click the little white box in the top right corner of this header. That will check all boxes on that page of your list. When you are done with these instructions you will NO LONGER get notifications on the checked topics.

7) UNcheck any topics you DO want to get notifications on.

8)Click UNNOTIFY.

9) Do this with each page, until only the topics you want to receive notifications on are left on your list.

10) Double-check that all your settings above are still the way you want them. (Change them again if they've reverted to prior settings.)

11) SAVE SETTINGS before you leave this page to save all of your preferences.
#1 - November 04, 2014, 05:40 PM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:42 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thank you, Verla! Just got one today (never before this). Was able to turn off notifications. Hope they stay off!
#2 - November 04, 2014, 06:29 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:yay Stephanie! Once you have turned them off according to my instructions above, they should stay off.
#3 - November 04, 2014, 08:26 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
Hi, Verla! I got my first notification yesterday and got another today. On the email, there was an option to 'unnotify'. I just followed that link. If that doesn't work, I'll use your helpful instructions.

Thank you!
#4 - November 05, 2014, 08:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Your instructions worked for me, Verla.  :thanx
#5 - November 05, 2014, 10:01 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:yay for the instructions working for people!
#6 - November 05, 2014, 11:28 AM
Verla Kay

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Okay, just to clarify: does "notification" mean you'll receive an email saying someone else has posted on a thread to which you've posted?
#7 - November 05, 2014, 03:32 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Exactly, Jody. :yup

And in your profile you can choose whether to receive emails from every thread you post in, just some threads (and which ones), or none.
#8 - November 05, 2014, 03:37 PM
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:39 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Perfecto, Verla!   :yourock
#9 - November 05, 2014, 03:53 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Josh at SCBWI is the one who fixed it for us, Jody. All I did was wield the :whip. :)
#10 - November 05, 2014, 03:55 PM
Verla Kay

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
You look good with a whip, Verla. ;)

Thanks, Josh!
#11 - November 05, 2014, 04:05 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Verla, I'm still getting daily emails that say "Below is a summary of all activity in your subscribed boards and topics at SCBWI's Blueboard..." and then it's blank because I'm not subscribed to any.

Photo attached is notification area of my profile -- what am I missing here? Do you know how I can stop getting the daily emails?
#12 - November 22, 2014, 04:30 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I gave more instructions in the other notifications thread, Shari. I'll copy it here.
#13 - November 22, 2014, 07:01 PM
Verla Kay

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Did you scroll down below that setting and look to see if you have a list of topics and/or boards on a notify list, Shari? Click the box at the top of the list to mark every topic on that list. UNcheck any topics or boards if you want to receive notifications on those topics/boards. Then click the UNNOTIFY button for all those topic and/or boards. If you have more than one page of notifications, you may have to do this for each page.
#14 - November 22, 2014, 07:05 PM
Verla Kay

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Thanks, Verla.  :flowers2
#15 - November 23, 2014, 05:23 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Members: