SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Dual protagonists

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Can you think of an example of dual protagonists written well in a picture book? There are plenty of wonderful duo stories, but in most there is one protagonist who undergoes change in the story and we see the story from that point of view. I've read in several places that it is not a good idea to have dual protagonists in fiction, but haven't seen that discussed regarding PB writing, where the focus on one concept/one protagonist is typical.
#1 - November 18, 2014, 10:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
The Gertie and Gossie books (love 'em)

Friends by Helme Heine - Has three equally weighted MC's
#2 - November 18, 2014, 12:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
maybe Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett
#3 - November 19, 2014, 11:42 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I would say Mac Barnett is the protagonist of Chloe and the Lion. The titular characters are helping Mac as he learns a "very valuable lesson". Wouldn't Chloe and Lion be considered secondary characters like Adam Rex, since it is Mac who changes the most?
I'll have to take another look at the Gossie & Gertie series. It makes sense that a buddy story could be considered to have dual protagonists -makes me think of Duck & Goose, since they have a common problem and their solution and the change they undergo is intertwined.
In Nugget & Fang, it seems like Fang is the protagonist, but not Nugget. (not a criticism of the book -I think it's a wonderful story!)
#4 - November 19, 2014, 03:46 PM

I haven't read this in a long time, but maybe CITY DOG, COUNTRY FROG (Williams, Muth) - I feel like we see things from the POV of both characters.
#5 - November 19, 2014, 05:13 PM
www.jancoates.ca
2019, Dancing with Daisy (PB)
2019, Say What You Mean (MG)
2018, Talking to the Moon (MG)
2018, A Halifax Time-Travelling Tune (PB)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
It does offer both points-of-view but I think City Dog changes more than Country Frog. Would Country Frog be the deuteragonist imparting wisdom like Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker, or like Jim to Huck Finn?
Or, have gone down the rabbit hole and am overthinking all of this?
#6 - November 19, 2014, 05:34 PM

Members: