SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Myth about stealing something and selling it back

Discussion started on

Can anyone think of a myth or famous story about stealing something and selling it back to its owner? I'd appreciate the help!
 :thanx
#1 - December 03, 2014, 12:51 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I have just done a bajillion and one Google searches with a variety of keywords yet can't seem to find the story itself, but I remember bits and pieces of one that might work. Here's what I remember:

There's a poor man and his wife, the wife sews their remaining money into the man's tattered coat, the man goes outside for some reason and sees a rich man dressed warmly, so the poor man pretends that his coat is keeping him super warm despite the holes because it's a magical coat, so the rich man trades the poor man. But when the poor man goes home with his new coat, his wife tells him about sewing all their remaining money into his ragged coat so then the poor man goes back out and somehow convinces the rich man to trade him back? But there's more to the story than that because he also benefits in the end by getting a house and a horse or something too...

Ugh, I wish I could remember the name of this! Maybe someone else can chime in?
#2 - January 18, 2015, 02:29 PM

I don't know if it's famous, but I just read a colection of fairy stories to my daughter that had that. The pixies were punishing a village who stole a poor girls money. They took leaves and pinecones and made them look like pure gold and then sold them to the villagers. The villagers bought the trinkets with the girls stolen money. The pixies gave the money back to the girl and the next morning all the villagers good turned back to leaves and pinecone s.
#3 - January 18, 2015, 04:29 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Thank you, Jennifer and AmandaSue! Those are both really intriguing.
#4 - January 22, 2015, 09:38 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Z-cat

This is half fiction half truth, but I've read read theories that when the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in 1911, it might have been a so that art forgers could sell multiple counterfeit copies as the original.
The thief did try to sell it back to galleries in Italy before it was finally returned to Paris.
#5 - January 24, 2015, 10:13 PM

Wow, that's bold!
#6 - January 25, 2015, 09:26 AM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I just saw this played out on an episode of Inspector Morse (BBC). A bartender described a person who came in to his tavern asking if he was interested in buying chickens. The bartender had a couple of chickens, but needed more, so he said yes. The man returned with several plucked, decapitated chickens and the bartender bought them. Later he went out and found that the man had stolen his chickens, killed them, and sold them back to him.
#7 - January 26, 2015, 12:42 PM
bridgettebooth.com
twitter.com/Bridgette_Booth

Members: