SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Art for my book done! Time to scan.

Discussion started on

Time to get this stuff into the computer!

#1 - December 05, 2014, 10:33 PM

How cool! Being artistically challenged myself, I am in awe of artists who can create images like this.  Will you color this as well?
#2 - December 05, 2014, 11:14 PM
Twitter: @writer_lp
www.lrpinto.com

Looks great Micheal. How do you plan on scanning it? I always struggle with getting a good scan myself.
#3 - December 06, 2014, 04:02 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Awesome work!  What's the title?  (Or is that withheld for now)?
#4 - December 06, 2014, 04:40 AM

I'm going to try a few different treatments, well see if I go with color.

Book is called Cindercast - A Tale of Tides. Check out more art and stuff at my development blog: www.cindercast.com
#5 - December 06, 2014, 06:30 AM

Looks great Micheal. How do you plan on scanning it? I always struggle with getting a good scan myself.

I have a HP laser printer that does a passable job. I'm going to try that first.
#6 - December 06, 2014, 06:31 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Michael--I checked out your blog.  You're very talented.  Where did you train?  (I have a daughter who's interested in the graphic arts).
#7 - December 06, 2014, 07:07 AM

Not much formal 2d training, I just filled the margins of my notebooks in  school with robots and doodles.

For my 3d animation and vfx training I took two years at a now closed art institute place near Vancouver, BC, Canada. We did some basic design, life drawing, color theory and 2d animation (pencils and lighttables).

#8 - December 06, 2014, 07:25 AM
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:59 AM by MichaelBlackbourn »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Really fantastic, Michael! Is she an elf?
#9 - December 06, 2014, 02:55 PM
CAPTAIN CRAB'S ABC (in the submission process)
https://www.facebook.com/DreamofSkyArt?ref=bookmarks

Really fantastic, Michael! Is she an elf?

She's a Seelie. Quarter of an inch tall and lives on the beach sheltering in sealed air pockets during the high tides. She gets marooned on a strange part of the beach after a storm and has to dodge the monstrous creatures of the beach and race against the tide to find her way home.
#10 - December 06, 2014, 04:35 PM

second row, third drawing is her sleeping inside a barnacle.
#11 - December 06, 2014, 04:36 PM

The only difference between a Seelie and a person is how tiny they are. So physics at that size let's you do some pretty interesting things that would be like superpowers to us. And pointy ears cause the're cute.  My story doesn't have 'big people' and isn't about our world clashing with Thiers.
#12 - December 06, 2014, 04:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I love it!
#13 - December 06, 2014, 05:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Which program will you use for color?
#14 - December 06, 2014, 05:11 PM

Which program will you use for color?

If I do color I'll use artrage. The paint tab on my site www.cindercast.com shows some examples done with it. I might try and capture a watercolor feel.
#15 - December 06, 2014, 05:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I was trying to paint periwinkles & needed to see how others handled the topic. Your work was one of the ones that came up in my google search. Yours are fantastic.
#16 - December 06, 2014, 05:53 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ooo, beautiful work! Approximately how long does it take to color each image? Thanks!
#17 - December 06, 2014, 06:37 PM

Ooo, beautiful work! Approximately how long does it take to color each image? Thanks!

Maybe four hours?

Thanks for the comment regarding my painting!
#18 - December 06, 2014, 06:45 PM

I remember when you first posted the first couple panels from this work. Love it all! Your lines are so strong in black-and-white that I can't imagine it in color. Incredible work. What a gift.
#19 - December 07, 2014, 05:43 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Thanks so much. If you guys aren't careful I'm going to start using these as quotes on the book itself! Hah.
I remember when you first posted the first couple panels from this work. Love it all! Your lines are so strong in black-and-white that I can't imagine it in color. Incredible work. What a gift.
#20 - December 07, 2014, 06:28 AM

Print version done! Will order a proof shortly! Huge props to Hugh Howey for his tutorials.

I added some info to go with his tutorial if your doing full bleed edge to edge images like below. Here is my post with the info:

http://www.cindercast.com/2015/01/print-version-layout-done-thanks-hugh.html?m=1

#21 - January 10, 2015, 12:50 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Congrats, Michael!
#22 - January 10, 2015, 02:14 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Congrats, Michael!

Thanks! Its going to feel really good to be 'done' this one.
#23 - January 11, 2015, 08:35 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Wow - That looks awesome! Great job. I'm going to go check out your website right now. Two big thumbs up!
#24 - January 12, 2015, 03:19 AM
The Messengers - Dawn of Shadows (Searching for rep)
blog: josephlstovall.blogspot.com
twitter: @jlstovall4

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Just checked out your website. I guess you can say you have 10001 views now. :-) Also congrats on the movie stuff. I do movies too, but indie right now. I just like to write everything. Good luck, I'll be watching out for you.
#25 - January 12, 2015, 03:25 AM

Thanks! Most recent thing we've worked on that I can talk about is Hunger games 3, mockingjay.  We did all the old hangar and launchpad stuff for district 13?

Thanks for checking out my blog. Fingers crossed I'll have book 1 for sale this month

Just checked out your website. I guess you can say you have 10001 views now. :-) Also congrats on the movie stuff. I do movies too, but indie right now. I just like to write everything. Good luck, I'll be watching out for you.
#26 - January 12, 2015, 06:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Cool good luck! I'm in Atlanta, so there's always talk about Hunger Games because they shot some of it here. But congrats and I'll be looking for the book.
#27 - January 12, 2015, 06:53 AM

Thanks! Were also working on the next one. Fun films.

Cool good luck! I'm in Atlanta, so there's always talk about Hunger Games because they shot some of it here. But congrats and I'll be looking for the book.
#28 - January 12, 2015, 08:18 AM

If anyone who likes the art wants to lend a hand with the words I posted a call for help for a description of my book here in the member critique section:

https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=75109.new#new

#29 - January 14, 2015, 08:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Got it from Amazon! Congrats, Michael!
#30 - February 03, 2015, 08:50 PM

Members: