SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

photoshop

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I've been using photoshop to fix errors & play around with my sketches. But my free trial ran out. I really don't want to pay $10/month for a whole year since I'm not making any money (yet - think positive right?).
What would you suggest? I really just want to finish up this dummy. Are there any other programs that will let me open psd files with layers?
I can probably get by without the layers option, but it would simplify things.
I tried Gimp before, but I found it difficult, maybe I didn't give it enough time though.
Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.
Thanks.
#1 - December 12, 2014, 05:52 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Sketchbook Pro - I haven't used it but I've heard it works great. Not sure if it can open psds. But for sketching it may be your best bet.
#2 - December 12, 2014, 07:25 AM
The Messengers - Dawn of Shadows (Searching for rep)
blog: josephlstovall.blogspot.com
twitter: @jlstovall4

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Have you considered Corel Painter? FWIW I believe Adobe's CC "owns" your files and won't allow them to be opened if you don't have an active subscription to any of their programs. One additional reason why I won't buy into their subscription service. (I hope it's just an ugly rumor.)
#3 - December 12, 2014, 02:20 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Well, you don't have to save your files to the cloud, whether it "owns" your files if you do, I don't know. I thought it was more like a Drop Box service. I already use Drop Box so haven't bothered with the cloud storage. I did the CC trial first and made a dummy with PS and InD. I saved the files to my computer/Drop Box. I went about a month after the trial expired before paying for the subscription, but I used the files in that time.
#4 - December 12, 2014, 02:42 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Try Paint Shop Pro. It can do almost every that Photoshop can do, including layers, plugins, etc. and it's way cheap. Regular price it's $80, but you can usually get a sale for $40 or $50.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#5 - December 12, 2014, 04:26 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Not sure if it's any good, but I've heard a few people use Manga Studio (think that's what it's called) or PSP.

I was lucky in that the school I worked at gave me an Adobe Creative Suite license for home use. Otherwise I'd probably just pay the $10 sub.
#6 - December 12, 2014, 04:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I did the free trial but didn't get around to saving the most recent version of my files as jpegs instead of PSDs. The $10 sub wouldn't be so bad if it was truly monthly, but they have you for the whole year. 30 for one month seems a bit much in comparison.
#7 - December 12, 2014, 06:06 PM

I believe Adobe has released their older version of Photoshop for free now. Think its version CS2, not sure how compatible it'll be with modern computers though. I have recently started using Manga Studio for my professional work and it gets the job done. I still use PS for editing and tweaking colors, it's still the better program for that.

Donald 
#8 - December 28, 2014, 08:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Really Donald? I was thinking maybe I'd go with Manga. I'll have to see what I can find for free. I'm almost done my dummy & am kicking myself for not getting it done while I was on the free trial. Silly me for procrastinating.
#9 - December 30, 2014, 01:39 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I believe you can still purchase PS Elements for a low price. Costco used to sell it, but I've done a Google search and found there are vendors who sell it online for less than $70.00. It can get the basics done, but there are many things full blown PS offers that Elements doesn't cover. It may be worth investigation to see if it fits all your needs though as it's a downloadable program instead of a subscription. For keeping and submitting files, I've used a drop-box account to deliver art to the publisher and backed up my work to a flash drive when using the subscription PS.

If you've got the majority of your book dummy done, the learning curve of a new program may slow things down a bit. With work on the verge of submission, slow-downs can be frustrating . . . I know.  :gaah . Most illustrators pay out for professional or decent scanners, the same for printers and art supplies for traditional mediums. Then there are the tablets and styluses in addition to the programs for digital work. Plus illustrators also have renewals on websites and blogs. The cost of a program is definitely another thing to weigh out.

#10 - January 01, 2015, 07:43 AM
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:51 AM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
This is getting to be an expensive hobby! But I've improved in leaps and bounds and am having lots of fun doing it. I start a new job on Monday so that will help finance it :P
I find it very tempting to try Manga because I've heard good things. But, I'm not quite ready to start from scratch - perhaps for the next project. Not that I really know photoshop. I'll have to check out elements.
I don't even like using the computer because I have to share with the family. I try to do most on paper & just use the computer for final touches/editing.
I think perhaps I'm making excuses for why I can't finish the project. Maybe I'm scared of rejection? It's like I have writers/artists block. But it's a new year, so I wrote down small acheivable steps to accomplish attainable art/writing goals for the next few months.
#11 - January 01, 2015, 10:24 AM

Marla

If final touches and image adjustments are your main reasons for using the computer then Photoshop is the better option. Manga Studio is better because it has a more comprehensive brush engine. Overall the interface between the two programs are not that different, and with the ability to customize your keyboard shortcuts it would not be like starting from scratch.

Donald
#12 - January 01, 2015, 07:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ok thanks for the tips.
I just discovered that I can convert my PSD files to jpeg or png via Preview. Didn't think to try this earlier! :bangcomputer
That makes it much easier. The sketches are done, now I just need to compile them into a pdf for digital submission.
#13 - January 02, 2015, 01:05 PM

Chronic
Poster Plus
DW, thanks heaps for bringing to my attention that Adobe had released Photoshop CS2 as a legacy download for free. It's works just fine on my Windows 8 system and I had a yet older version of Photoshop I was using beforehand so this is a terrific discovery for me.
#14 - January 19, 2015, 12:43 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

You're welcome CK, nice to know it works on Windows 8.
#15 - January 19, 2015, 06:07 PM

Members: