SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Child Protection Services - want informational interview

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I would like to talk to someone (20-minute informational interview) who works for Child Protection Services. I need to know the nuts and bolts of what happens when a child's parent dies and there is no other family member to call upon. Please let me know if you have any contacts that might help me. THANK YOU.
#1 - January 15, 2015, 07:21 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Amy, you might post what metro area you're near. That would help Blueboarders who are/know someone in area social service agencies/private practice to give you a referral.
#2 - January 15, 2015, 08:40 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
What Anne said--I was going to say that knowing what state you're looking for info about would help, as there might be differences among areas.
#3 - January 15, 2015, 08:46 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Amy, I had this exact situation once with a novel. I needed to talk to social services about child custody and adoption issues. I had no connections, so I cold-called and was able to make an appointment with someone. They were very helpful, and also stressed that it varies a lot from state to state. It helped tremendously that my book was set in my state. If your book is set in a specific state, province, or governmental division of any sort, you'll need to talk to somebody there -- not necessarily where you live. OTOH, you might decide to change the location of your story, or purposely make the location vague, so that you can use information that's local to you.
#4 - January 15, 2015, 01:38 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Thank you!  I live in the Washington DC metro area (Northern Virginia).  I was thinking of setting the book in Colorado where I grew up, but maybe I shouldn't.  I didn't really think about how much laws and rules might vary. 
I think a face-to-face conversation would be most useful, though a phone call would also be helpful. 
#5 - January 15, 2015, 05:17 PM

Members: