SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Third Person Omniscient

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Looking for examples of mg books told in 3rd omniscient. TYIA.

:redbaron
#1 - January 16, 2015, 12:50 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Lill, for me your post couldn't be better timed. I just started one: BEYOND THE LAUGHING SKY by Michelle Cuevas.
#2 - January 16, 2015, 12:56 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
Thanks, I'll look it up. My current w.i.p. is close third ... but an agent last year suggested omniscient ... and I'm thinking it might work better.
#3 - January 16, 2015, 01:45 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Isn't Lemony Snicket omniscient?

What about Alex and the Ironic Gentleman?

I'm out of touch with recently published titles, though. Need to remedy that!

Rue
#4 - January 16, 2015, 02:04 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm fairly sure that Kate DiCamillo's TALE OF DESPEREAUX is 3rd person omniscient, although she does break that fourth wall when addressing the reader.
#5 - January 19, 2015, 12:29 PM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Voice Actor, Commentator and Book Trailer Producer
New Poster
Third Person Omniscient is a favorite writing style of mine. Trust me, it becomes easier once you get the hang of it. Many of my short stories that I've been working on with my editor are told in this style and I haven't looked back since. When I found out I write for Middle Grade I was told to avoid First Person and focus on Third Person. So what did I think was best suited for my stories? Well, not only a little bit of magic, but a witty narrator who could tell a great story about all of the characters. It's a great tool to use. It can be tricky at times when you want to avoid head-hopping, but it's a fun process to learn.

Best of luck!

:stars3
#6 - February 07, 2015, 10:24 PM
My name is Katya Stec. I do voice overs for characters, audiobooks, and more and also produce book trailers at an in-home studio.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Lill, the Shoe books by Noel Streatfeild are 3rd omniscient.
#7 - February 08, 2015, 11:58 AM

It used to be (more years ago than I care to remember) that omni POV was madly frowned upon...considered cheating at the least, but really much worse. The occasional established writer was allowed.

Does anyone else remember that, and know what the turn of thinking on it was?
#8 - February 09, 2015, 07:56 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
My humorous Supernatural Rubber Chicken chapter book series (published 2008) is third person omniscient.
#9 - February 09, 2015, 10:11 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
It used to be (more years ago than I care to remember) that omni POV was madly frowned upon...considered cheating at the least, but really much worse. The occasional established writer was allowed.

Does anyone else remember that, and know what the turn of thinking on it was?

I remember this, but I have no idea why it changed. It may still be frowned upon by some, but, if done well, I think it lends a cozy sort of feel to a narrative.
#10 - February 09, 2015, 11:39 AM

I love omniscient narrators!
Some of my favorites:
THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE Maryrose Wood
HOOK'S REVENGE (Heidi Schultz)
A WHOLE NOTHER STORY (Cuthbert Soup)
THE ROOFTOPPERS Katherine Rundall
#11 - February 09, 2015, 08:16 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I recently read (and loved!) THE HERO'S GUIDE TO SAVING YOUR KINGDOM, which is told in 3rd-person omniscient.
#12 - March 06, 2015, 11:54 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, Just saw this, but I have been toying with a dual POV for my latest MG effort. It doesn't seem to be working - mostly because I don't have a great reason to use it other than I wanted to try it out. 3rd person is working better. I just reread The Penderwicks third in the series and her 3rd person is smooth smooth. She floats from about three of her characters heads' effortlessly. We discussed Flora and Ulysses (agent Jen Rofe') at the recent WWA SCBWI conf, and though I do think that is mostly dual POV (squirrel and Flora) there is a bit of omniscient as she floats into the squirrel's consciousness after he's vacuumed up. It's beautifully done.

Question - do you see many MG books that are dual POV done well? I hear it's not the best of ideas, but I'm sure there are exceptions if there is a good reason.
#13 - April 28, 2015, 05:46 AM
http://holtzy1652.com
www.markholtzen.com
@holtzymook
Author of, A Ticket to the Pennant from Little Bigfoot Books
Available April 12, 2016

Members: