SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Links within e-book text

Discussion started on

Being digitally-dumb, I wondered if there was any preexisting way to embed links within the text of an e-book (whether on Kindle, Nook or software available as a phone app) and what formats could support this sort of thing. Anyone have any clue?

My example: Think of it like linking pages for a Choose Your Own Adventure book without needing to scroll pages, just point and click.

I've been trying to research this and am coming up empty. Any ideas/thoughts/brilliance would be welcome!
#1 - January 16, 2015, 01:10 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yes, Dawn, there is--it happens inside ebooks for links for chapter headings. How it's done depends on which format you're in--Kindle, Nook, Apple, etc. all have different formats.  Is this for a self-published story? 
#2 - January 16, 2015, 02:14 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Yup, you can totally do that. As Marissa pointed out, it would be the same as the links in your table of contents.

You can also have external links, like to your mailing list or the next book in the series or whatever. Of course, the user needs to have Internet access to use those links, but most readers and apps have that capability now.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#3 - January 16, 2015, 02:22 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

More like a WIP project-in-the-making.  :muahaha I'm trying to think in terms of what's out there (or what isn't) for e-pub or app.

P.S. Hi, Marissa!
#4 - January 16, 2015, 02:29 PM

I'm looking for what format to use with internal links (like to footnotes and back to the main narrative) for use in Kindle or Nook; do both/either support Adobe .pdfs? How would this work to make a good page layout? I have the idea, but not the technical knowledge to figure out what would work for e-readers as opposed to apps.
#5 - January 23, 2015, 10:41 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
You'd format in mobi or epub. Ereaders don't support PDF.

Here's KDP's how-to guide for beginners:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007URVZJ6

There should be something in there about creating internal links.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#6 - January 28, 2015, 11:56 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
It sounds like a very exciting idea, Dawn! Can't wait to read your ebook!  :running :flowers2
#8 - August 17, 2015, 03:49 PM

Members: