SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Poetry Contest

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :stars3  Anyone ever participated??? I just applied. Looks like fun. Free too.  Also, I love this site. Illuminating and fun features like "Shel vs. Shel." ( I think one "L")

'The #MMPoetry 2015 Authlete Application Window IS OPEN!'

"The biggest tournament of children's poetry ever conceived" is back again for its fourth year! It's going to be another amazing event with several new features and hopefully many new faces!

You may view the latest post at
http://www.thinkkidthink.com/the-mmpoetry-2015-authlete-application-window-is-open/
#1 - January 24, 2015, 01:07 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I applied as well.
#2 - January 24, 2015, 01:13 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

I've only participated as an onlooker/cheerleader. A few members of my crit group participated. One of them went pretty far.

It can sometimes turn into a bit of a popularity contest, imho. Nonetheless, some truly fantastic and mind-bogglingly impressive poems have come out of it. And it's just plain fun! Just browsing through past entries is super inspiring.

Let us know if you enter!
#3 - January 24, 2015, 01:15 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Lill and Dianna, Some of the comments suggested changes such as anonymity as well as eliminating unfair advantage of scatalogical poems. Hope he agrees. I really do think it's a great idea.Good luck, Lill!
#4 - January 24, 2015, 01:39 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

eliminating unfair advantage of scatalogical poems

Ha ha! What a funny thing to ponder. :)

I forgot to mention, one of my friends who participated received a compliment on her poem from Jane Yolen! I mean, how cool is that??
#5 - January 24, 2015, 01:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Diana, Thanks for that super-cool! info. It sounds like a one-of-a-kind, fabulous fun, what-the-heck, why-not-try? contest!
#6 - January 24, 2015, 02:21 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
As of today...I'm in!!
#7 - January 26, 2015, 08:08 PM

Yay, Susie! I'll come root for you!

Go for it, Emily!
#8 - January 27, 2015, 05:35 AM

It can sometimes turn into a bit of a popularity contest, imho. Nonetheless, some truly fantastic and mind-bogglingly impressive poems have come out of it. And it's just plain fun! Just browsing through past entries is super inspiring.
This is true, but we took big strides in minimizing the popularity aspect in 2014. Specifically, we changed the voting format from being 100% public internet-based to a win-2-out-of-3 approach comprised of (a) the public vote (same as original, and yes almost purely a popularity, get-out-the-vote contest), (b) the authlete vote (essentially a peer review; only participating authletes are eligible to vote), and (c) an official classroom vote (a pre-registered set of classrooms that in 2014 represented over 2,000 students, and hopefully even more in 2015).

This TKT post explains a lot of the history and logic behind the new process: http://www.thinkkidthink.com/march-madness-poetry-growing-pains/
#9 - January 29, 2015, 05:13 PM

Lill and Dianna, Some of the comments suggested changes such as anonymity as well as eliminating unfair advantage of scatalogical poems. Hope he agrees. I really do think it's a great idea.Good luck, Lill!
The anonymity suggestion has been around since the event's inception. I've commented on this previously on the TKT site, but the main reason for not doing it is that any benefit it achieves in terms of fairness is dwarfed by the harm it does in terms of publicity for the event. Please keep in mind that the stated purpose of the event is to get more high quality poetry in the hands of more kids -- individual authletes publicizing their own participation is a big part of what draws people to the event, so muting that channel would essentially kill the event.

The second suggestion is newer. I don't intend to implement any such "ban" any time soon. At the very least, it would be premature without more data (as you'll learn if you follow me/TKT more closely, I'm a big believer in data!). Besides, if you ban that one topic, what's next? Banning poems about springtime because the authletes are too easily wooed by flowers and raindrops (which, pending more data, they may or may not be)? Slippery slope ...
#10 - January 29, 2015, 05:43 PM

Ed, I know that there have been some changes in the judging and that you constantly analyze things to improve them even further. It can't be an easy endeavor, that's for sure.

As I said, I think it's an (extremely) inspiring event and I know a few people who will be competing this year. I'll be sure to cheer them on and I'm excited to see the creativity flow.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with. I love seeing a contest that celebrates words!
#11 - January 29, 2015, 08:10 PM
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:34 PM by DianaM »

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yay Lill! Yay Susie! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines as well! I'm not entering this year. Last year was grueling, and I think maybe I need a year off. The rewards were great, however, including that compliment from Jane Yolen! :) Best of luck to all who enter!
#12 - February 11, 2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned this in the "Contests" thread as well, but wanted to say I've gotten some great applications that trace back to the SCBWI forums. Friendly reminder that the application deadline is Wednesday, 2/18 5pm CST. Selection Sunday is Sunday night, 2/22. First words of the tournament are unveiled Sunday, 3/8. Enjoy the madness!

Learn more here: http://www.thinkkidthink.com/mmpoetry-2015/
#13 - February 14, 2015, 02:11 PM

Last year was grueling, and I think maybe I need a year off. The rewards were great, however, including that compliment from Jane Yolen! :) Best of luck to all who enter!

That is a common sentiment among the authletes who keep winning their matchups, B.J.!
#14 - February 14, 2015, 02:13 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
That's interesting, Ed! Throughout the contest, I frequently stayed up all night, grabbing a few hours of sleep in the a.m., then back at it. My crit group, The Poet's Garage, helped bolster me throughout, and I hope to do the same this year for some members of The Garage who I know will be participating! :)
#15 - February 22, 2015, 10:25 PM

Members: