SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recommended Writing Magazines?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
The writing magazines to which I subscribe are up for renewal and I'm trying to decide what to get. Anyone have suggestions?

Right now, I'm subscribed to Poets & Writers and to Writers Digest. I'm also familiar with The Writer. Print is preferred!

PS I know that magazines might not technically fall under Education, but this category seemed the best of options offered.
#1 - January 27, 2015, 06:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Hi. I'm subscribed to Writer's Digest at the moment, recently, and have found some very useful articles. I've found newsletters very helpful. They aren't print, but I can open them anywhere on my cell phone and read when I have to wait or I'm doing daily tasks. Among the most helpful have been the Children's Writer's eNews from the Institute of Children's Literature, Children's Book Insider or their free newsletter and Funds for Writers.

I suggest taking into account your interests as a writer and choosing those that target what you write. Since I write poetry, I've decided to try to read one poem a day and I think it's really great (though I haven't gotten into the habit of doing it every day). I've read much more poetry these last two months than before.

I hope that helps.              :flowers2
#2 - January 27, 2015, 06:59 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I have never particularly cared for Writer's Digest but have always read The Writer, which I feel zeroes in on many important aspects the writer needs to know. I've saved some from years back and they will ring true today.
#3 - January 29, 2015, 01:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks for the feedback! Having subscribed to The Writer's Digest now for a few years, I decided to try The Writer instead this year.

I also subscribe to The Children's Book Insider. It's good, although I miss having a print publication for children's writers.
#4 - January 31, 2015, 03:49 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Not mentioned yet: The Horn Book is great for articles and book reviews on children's books. It does not cover craft, if that's what you're looking for.
#5 - January 31, 2015, 06:15 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Most public libraries still subscribe to the print editions, so you could take an afternoon and read through several back issues of each to see which might best meet your needs. After subscribing to WD ever since it was printed on papyrus, I decided to let my subscription lapse because I felt I'd outgrown it. And then came the most recent issue packed with good stuff about social media so...I'm reconsidering.
#6 - January 31, 2015, 06:26 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I've thought about Horn Book. So far, the cost keeps me from getting it.  :(
#7 - January 31, 2015, 07:00 PM
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:10 PM by Allison »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I've thought about Horn Book. So far, the cost keeps me from getting it.  :(

Check to see if you can get issues from the children's department of your public library when they are finished with them. Even if they don't circulate, maybe they'd do you the favor.
#8 - February 01, 2015, 11:58 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You've just reminded me that my holiday gift to myself was supposed to be a subscription to The Writer. I never actually put it through.

Writer's Journal is good for beginners.

Joining SCBWI will get you a print magazine, The Bulletin, geared toward children's writers and illustrators. Articles focus on industry news, craft, and all levels of career development. There are other benefits to membership too, including market guides, access to SCBWI members only sections of the BlueBoards, conference discounts, grant opportunities, etc.
#9 - February 02, 2015, 08:48 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Member.
Poster Plus
Is Writer's Journal a print or online magazine? Do you have an URL? I consider myself somewhere between a novice and an expert, but would still like to check out the magazine.

I tried SCBWI but found it too expensive just for the sake of the magazine. Unfortunately, our local chapter isn't very active. That means I wasn't able to take advantage of writing groups or conferences without traveling a great distance.
#10 - February 02, 2015, 09:00 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It was a print mag, but I'm not finding the website any longer. Perhaps they've closed since I last checked.
#11 - February 09, 2015, 11:04 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: