Upper MG fantasy recommendations?

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
O Awesomely Well-Read Blueboarders...  :bow

I'm starting on a course of recently published upper MG/lower YA fantasy (especially historical) and am looking for recommendations for my further reading.  I just finished Splendors and Glooms...what should I pick up next?

Thanks!! :love5
#1 - January 29, 2015, 04:41 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Marissa, I'm trying to think of just historical fantasy. You may have read some of these, but maybe not others? It's hard to think of other books in the same slot as Splendours and Glooms.

There's Sarah Prineas's Magic Thief series (sort of Dickensian era, although in another world--but it feels like that)
Deva Fagan writes on that age line, too. Circus Galacticus is SF, but her others are fantasy.
Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings, Helene Boudreau (not historical, but on that line)
The Clockwork Three, by Matthew Kirby involves a magic violin in colonial America
Plain Kate, by Erin Bow, is a sort of literary creepy MG, and has a "historical" feel
Cabinet of Wonders, Marie Rutkoski. MG historical fantasy set in Bohemia (some later books go to England).
Wrapped, Jennifer Bradbury. Victorian England, a proper young lady, and a mummy
Entwined, Heather Dixon--I think I'd call this YA, but it's younger and less bitey. In an imaginary country, but inspired by historical Norway and England. (My favorite 12 Dancing Princesses retelling--and funny)
Poison, Bridget Zinn--imaginary country, but on that age line
Doll Bones, Holly Black--contemporary, but with magic, on that age line
Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase, Jonathan Stroud--creepy, a series, about kids solving paranormal mysteries. I think it's actually supposed to be modern day, but it feels like Sherlock Holmes times.
The Princess Curse and other books by Merrie Haskell
Kat, Incorrigible (series) by Stephanie Burgis--Regency England plus magic, MG (I'm sure you have already read these)
A Snicker of Magic, Natalie Lloyd--contemporary MG magic
The Watcher in the Shadows, Chris Moriarty--mystery series set in turn of the century NYC. MC is a Jewish kid, so there's a lot of local flavor, only the mysteries all involve magic and corrupt companies (and sometimes magic IN corrupt companies).
Saving Lucas Biggs, Marisa de los Santos and David Teague--MG with time travel
The Boundless, Kenneth Oppel--time of intercontinental railroad building; mostly historical mystery, but with some sasquatches and magical creatures like that
Dreamwood, Heather Mackey--around the same time as The Boundless, set in the Pacific Northwest, also with magical creatures seen as perfectly scientific and possible.
Egg and Spoon, Gregory Maguire--early 1900s Russia, with Baba Yaga
The Accidental Highwayman, Ben Tripp--1700s England, with magic (this might be sold as YA, but it feels more MG to me)
#2 - January 30, 2015, 09:54 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Rose, this is exactly what I need...thank you!!
#3 - January 30, 2015, 09:57 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Anne Nesbet's The Cabinet of Earths.
#4 - January 30, 2015, 12:27 PM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield.
#5 - January 30, 2015, 01:42 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I don't know if this is historical, but D read and loved The Emerald Atlas.
#6 - January 30, 2015, 01:49 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Oh, there's another map one out--The Glass Sentence. I haven't read it yet; my library doesn't have a hard copy, just in e-book form. With all the maps and stuff, it's fairly hard to make out on my kindle (not the newest version), so I can't tell you how close it is to what you're looking for. But it has some magic and a bit of alternate history in it.
#7 - January 30, 2015, 01:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
You might add Esther Friesner's books to your list. Also Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthurian books (The Seeing Stone, et al.) and Tracy Barrett's King of Ithaka.
#8 - January 30, 2015, 06:18 PM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
You also might consider L.A. Meyer's Bloody Jack series, the first being, Bloody Jack: Being An Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary “Jacky” Faber, Ship's Boy. I went into this thinking it was a jolly MG, but it's a gritty historical, upper MG blending into YA.
#9 - January 31, 2015, 06:09 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Members: