SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Lush historical retellings recs

Discussion started on

Hi there, I'm looking for recommendations for historical fiction retellings and magical realism--real setting if possible. Atmospheric, richly detailed, Along the lines of Bitter Greens, which I've seen is highly recommended and on my TBR list.
Thanks!
#1 - January 30, 2015, 06:03 AM
LAST SUMMER IN EDEN
Cozy mystery writer for ANNIE'S FICTION and GUIDEPOSTS
www.elizabethpenneyauthor.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Definitely Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale, which is gorgeous magical realism set in New York City in both 1899 and 1999.  And Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which straddles the line between historical fantasy and magical realism, and is set in England in the first decades of the 19th century.  Both are adult books, though--were you looking for YA or MG?
#2 - January 30, 2015, 07:11 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Thanks, Marissa. I'm still not sure if the book will be YA or adult--thanks for those recs!
#3 - January 30, 2015, 07:41 AM
LAST SUMMER IN EDEN
Cozy mystery writer for ANNIE'S FICTION and GUIDEPOSTS
www.elizabethpenneyauthor.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Do you Gillian Bradshaw's books? THE WOLF HUNT is a retelling of Marie de France's 12th century "Bisclavret" (a wonderful werewolf story), and she has other lush, lovely reads, too. (THE SAND-RECKONER is a favorite of mine.) Plus she's written HAWK OF MAY and other Arthurian books that were first marketed as YA but I think now as adult. She writes very realistic historical fiction and historical fantasy.
#4 - January 30, 2015, 06:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, everyone, for this thread! I look forward to reading some of the recommendations. Magical realism is a genre I love.
#5 - January 30, 2015, 06:34 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, I loved The Wolf Hunt.  I'll need to look for more of hers.
#6 - January 30, 2015, 07:13 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: